max data transfer possible for a single HTTP request !!

Jag

hi,

am having a situation of transferring huge amount of data over HTTP i.e
(ejb-jsp). i was wondering is there any max limit for the amount of kb that
can be transferred.

my sql select may yield upto 5mb of data at certain situations.

thanx

Roedy Green

am having a situation of transferring huge amount of data over HTTP i.e

you have downloaded the JDK with HTTP. It runs about 35 MB. HTTP
protocol looks after it. If you read at the raw socket level, you
must be aware that HTTP sends in long counted blocks within the TCP/IP
packetstream.

Nigel Wade

hi,

am having a situation of transferring huge amount of data over HTTP i.e
(ejb-jsp). i was wondering is there any max limit for the amount of kb that
can be transferred.

my sql select may yield upto 5mb of data at certain situations.

thanx

It depends on the OS underlying the Web server, the Web server itself,
and the client. If any part is built for 32bit file access then the limit
is 2GB.

I ran into this trying to download the Fedora Core 2 DVD iso which
is over 3GB. I did eventually get a server/client combination which
allowed the download.

Roedy Green

It depends on the OS underlying the Web server, the Web server itself,
and the client. If any part is built for 32bit file access then the limit
is 2GB.

In practice this mean avoiding Win98. what others?

Nigel Wade

In practice this mean avoiding Win98. what others?

I think IE on XP failed. wget on Linux (Fedora Core 1 and 2) failed.

It's difficult to know whether the server of the client is responsible.
It's not something you test too often, as the failure will not take place
until several hours have gone by. The problem of the 2GB limit of wget is
documented and being fixed, apparently it's not a simple case of
re-building with largefile support.

~ryan upton

Jag said:
hi,

am having a situation of transferring huge amount of data over HTTP i.e
(ejb-jsp). i was wondering is there any max limit for the amount of kb that
can be transferred.

my sql select may yield upto 5mb of data at certain situations.

thanx

If I may offer a different perspective and some adivce, I think the
more appropriate question is why would you want to send a whole <=5M
of data down the pipe. Thinking from the end-user perspective
vis-a-vis interface and performance I would hate to wait for that data
to come back to me. Even if I have high throughput I would most
certainly hate to sift through all that data once I received it, not
to mention the fact the interface is probably going to be horrid. You
may want to focus less on transfer limits and more on design. I would
recommed checking out J2EE Design Patterns. The Value List Handler is
practically screaming to be used here ;-)

http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/ValueListHandler.html

HTH
~RU

Grant Wagner

Roedy said:
In practice this mean avoiding Win98. what others?

It doesn't mean avoiding Windows 98 because it doesn't support files that
large (although there are lots of other reasons to).

If you are using Windows 98 on any sort of modern hardware, you're presumably
using FAT32. FAT32 supports files almost 4GB in size, not 2GB.

You might be thinking about the FAT16 partition size limitation (2GB), but if
you are running Windows 98 on a HD using FAT16, then you can't download a file
larger then 2GB anyway, you don't have enough disk space. Although,
interestingly enough, FAT16 supports files almost 4GB in size, even though
with the largest possible Windows 98 supported cluster size, you can't make a
partition that large. You _can_ make a 4GB FAT16 partition in Windows NT 4.0
by using a non-Windows 98 standard of a 64KB cluster.

NTFS has theoretical support for files of size 16 exabytes minus 1 KB and an
implementation limit of 16 terabytes minus 64 KB. Nothing to worry about
there... for now at least the next few years.

Information obtained at: <url:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp
/>

As an aside, I can imagine it now. In 100 years someone will make a post to
slashdot.org saying "Bill Gates was an idiot! He once said 'no one is ever
going to need files bigger then 16 terrabytes minus 64KB'!" :)