Max Number of Web Controls Per Page

Guest

I am in the early stages of an ASP.NET project and my Architect is proposing
a form that would have as many as 1200 (twelve-hundred!) textboxes on a
single page. Aside from the usability concerns, I'm trying to identify other
obstacles to this approach.

One thought I had was that this many web controls may start to seriously tax
..NET vis-a-vis the Viewstate. Essentially that loading this many textboxes
on a form will create tons of overhead as .NET has to maintain values for
each of these controls between postbacks in Viewstate.

I guess I'm looking to find out if there is a hard maximum for the number of
web controls per page/form, OR what rule of thumb I can use to try and gauge
performance expectations under these conditions.

Any information or hints are greatly apprecaited.

Regards,

Chris Frohlich

Andrew Robinson

The textbox control maintains its own state within the resulting HTML
<input> tag so ViewState will not be an issue. Other controls may or may not
require ViewState. ASP.NET should be able to handle that many controls
without issue but I would question any kind of architecture that required
1200 controls on a single page. Usability etc aside, your biggest issue is
likely to be just moving that much data back and forth between the client
and server with a high level of performance.