maximum characters in hidden text field

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:29:43 +0000 (UTC), "Jukka K. Korpela"

:
: >> Mortar wrote:
: >>
: >> > anyone know the maximum characters that a hidden text field can have?
: >>
: >> Twelve.
: >
: > 42
:
: I double (for takeout).

Redouble! :)

Sid

rf

Mortar said:
anyone know the maximum characters that a hidden text field can have?

Having been outclassed (as in doubled) by Mr Korpella <g/> I will now give
you the correct answer.

Answer: It depends.

If you are using method="get" then you will run into limitations of either
your browser or your server and these limitations are from about 256 to 4096
or whatever bytes and who actualy knows, it depends on the length of the URL
that either will handle.

If you are using method="post" then theoritically there is no limit,
except... well who knows.

BTW Why do you ask? If you are sending down a hidden text field that is
large enough to break some limit then your design is broken.