Maximum connections to http server

Raghu Rudra

By default, the machine.config contains following information:

<system.net>
<connectionManagement>
<add address="*" maxconnection="2"/>
</connectionManagement>
</system.net>

This limits the number of connections to web server to 2. For example, if
you want to write code to post xml to a web server using HttpWebRequest
object, the call to GetResponse() will be blocked except for first 2
threads. All other threads will enter GetResponse method as previous threads
are done.

Tthe msdn documentation says that if you want increase this number for any
http server, you need to modify this configuration in either machine.config
or app confic or policy config file as below:

<system.net>
<connectionManagement>
<add address="www.abc.com" maxconnection="15"/>
</connectionManagement>
</system.net>

I have a web application that is deployed on internal web server. So I
modified it as following:

<system.net>
<connectionManagement>
<add address="mymachine" maxconnection="15"/>
</connectionManagement>
</system.net>

This did not work at all. I also tried the machine in active directory
network name mymachine.ab.cde. It did not work either.

But when I modified as below, it worked:

<system.net>
<connectionManagement>
<add address="*" maxconnection="15"/>
</connectionManagement>
</system.net>

But I do not want to apply this for every server. So can someone tell what
am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Raghu/..

Raghu Rudra

I did not the first time. Now I did. It is still not working the it is
supposed to.

Darren Mombourquette

It depends on what your platform is.
Windows XP and Windows 2000 professional have a hard coded limited of
10 "simultaneous" connections because they are not "Server" OS's. This
is usually sufficient for development purposes but not for production
servers and/ or load testing.
I "think" that the setting you are referring to in machine.config
refers to the number of connections per request. Like when you hit a
webpage and it begins downloading images for that page.. it can use up
to two connections by default to download these to the client. Someone
can correct me if I'm wrong.

Darren Mombourquette