    Regards,
    Subhabrata

    , Feb 1, 2013

  2. æ–¼ 2013å¹´2月2日星期六UTC+8上åˆ1時17分04秒寫é“:
    > Dear Group,
    >

    > I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood Estimation.. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search it seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not finding proper example workouts Iam failing to use them.
    >

    > I am using Python 2.7 on Windows 7.
    >

    > Thanking You in Advance,
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Subhabrata

    I suggest you can google "python and symbolic
    computation" to get some package for your need first.

    Because it seems that you have to work out some
    math formula and verify some random process first
    of your data sources with noises .

    88888 Dihedral, Feb 1, 2013

    On Friday, February 1, 2013 11:07:48 PM UTC+5:30, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    > æ–¼ 2013å¹´2月2日星期六UTC+8上åˆ1時17分04秒寫é“:
    >
    > > Dear Group,

    > > I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood Estimation. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search it seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not finding proper example workoutsI am failing to use them.

    > > I am using Python 2.7 on Windows 7.

    > > Thanking You in Advance,

    > > Regards,

    > > Subhabrata

    > I suggest you can google "python and symbolic
    >
    > computation" to get some package for your need first.
    >

    > Because it seems that you have to work out some
    >
    > math formula and verify some random process first
    >
    > of your data sources with noises .

    Dear Group,
    Thanks. I googled and found a new package named Sympy and could generate MLE graphs. Regards,Subhabrata.

    , Feb 1, 2013
  4. On 02/01/2013 11:47 AM, wrote:
    > On Friday, February 1, 2013 11:07:48 PM UTC+5:30, 88888 Dihedral
    > wrote:
    >> æ–¼ 2013å¹´2月2日星期六UTC+8上åˆ1時17分04秒寫é“:
    >>> I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood
    >>> Estimation. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search
    >>> it seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not
    >>> finding proper example workouts I am failing to use them.

    >> I suggest you can google "python and symbolic computation" to get
    >> some package for your need first. Because it seems that you have to
    >> work out some math formula and verify some random process first of
    >> your data sources with noises .

    > Dear Group, Thanks. I googled and found a new package named Sympy and
    > could generate MLE graphs. Regards,Subhabrata.

    My hat's off to you for actually interpreting the 88888 dihedral robot's
    randomly-created response in a way that actually helped you find the
    solution to your problem! I think that's a python first around here.

    Most people on this list consider 88888 dihedral to be a badly
    programmed bot.

    Michael Torrie, Feb 1, 2013
  5. tkhan10 Guest

    Hi..
    I know this is a very dumb q but actually I am new to python and to this list. I want to post a question about geographic masking but cannot find out how to post it. Would somebody please suggest me how to do that?
    Thank you
    Subrina

    tkhan10, Feb 1, 2013
  6. Jerry Hill Guest

    On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > Most people on this list consider 88888 dihedral to be a badly
    > programmed bot.

    For what it's worth, I think it's a very cleverly programmed bot. It
    usually makes just enough sense for me to wonder if there really is a
    human being behind the keyboard.

    --
    Jerry

    Jerry Hill, Feb 1, 2013
  7. 在 2013å¹´2月2日星期六UTC+8上åˆ2æ—¶47分22秒,subhaba...@gmail..com写é“:
    > On Friday, February 1, 2013 11:07:48 PM UTC+5:30, 88888 Dihedral wrote:
    >
    > > æ–¼ 2013å¹´2月2日星期六UTC+8上åˆ1時17分04秒寫é“:

    > > > Dear Group,

    > > > I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood Estimation. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search it seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not finding proper example workouts I am failing to use them.

    > > > I am using Python 2.7 on Windows 7.

    > > > Thanking You in Advance,

    > > > Regards,

    > > > Subhabrata

    > > I suggest you can google "python and symbolic

    > > computation" to get some package for your need first.

    > > Because it seems that you have to work out some

    > > math formula and verify some random process first

    > > of your data sources with noises .

    > Dear Group,
    >
    > Thanks. I googled and found a new package named Sympy and could generate MLE graphs. Regards,Subhabrata.

    Well,just reveal more about your problems.

    But if you are concerned with some commercial
    problems, then it is not the novice apprentice
    level jokes.

    Then, maybe you can just give some outline of
    the problem.

    88888 Dihedral, Feb 1, 2013
  8. tkhan10 wrote:

    > Hi..
    > I know this is a very dumb q but actually I am new to python and to this
    > list. I want to post a question about geographic masking but cannot find
    > out how to post it. Would somebody please suggest me how to do that? Thank
    > you Subrina

    Are you using email or Usenet?

    In your email client:

    1) Create a new email message;

    2) Type the To address

    3) Type a meaningful subject line such as "Geographic Masking in Python"

    4) Type your message.

    5) Hit send.

    Or, if you are using Usenet, in your news client:

    1) Create a new news post;

    2) Type the To address comp.lang.python;

    3) Type a meaningful subject line such as "Geographic Masking in Python"

    4) Type your message.

    5) Hit send.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Feb 1, 2013

    On Friday, February 1, 2013 10:47:04 PM UTC+5:30, wrote:
    > Dear Group,
    >

    > I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood Estimation.. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search it seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not finding proper example workouts Iam failing to use them.
    >

    > I am using Python 2.7 on Windows 7.
    >

    > Thanking You in Advance,
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Subhabrata

    Dear Sir,
    The room would take care of you. They still guide me and sometimes the way they rebuke you have to see. You are in a nice room, you'd learn soon. It was bot? If you are testing please let me know I'd like to be part of the testing, and if you suggest may volunteer to send queries.
    Regards,
    Subhabrata.

    , Feb 2, 2013
  10. > I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood
    > Estimation. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search it
    > seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not finding
    > proper example workouts I am failing to use them.

    For statistics I would suggest using R (http://www.r-project.org/)
    through RPy (http://rpy.sourceforge.net/).

    Both have dedicated mailinglists as well as extensive documentation.

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Keller, Feb 2, 2013
  11. On 2 February 2013 18:26, Wolfgang Keller <> wrote:
    >> I am looking for a Python implementation of Maximum Likelihood
    >> Estimation. If any one can kindly suggest. With a google search it
    >> seems scipy,numpy,statsmodels have modules, but as I am not finding
    >> proper example workouts I am failing to use them.

    > For statistics I would suggest using R (http://www.r-project.org/)
    > through RPy (http://rpy.sourceforge.net/).
    >
    > Both have dedicated mailinglists as well as extensive documentation.

    I agree with Wolfgang that R is likely to be able to do what you want
    and that you may have better luck asking this kind of question on
    their mailing lists (or on the scipy mailing list).

    In any case, though, you will need to be more specific about what you
    mean. Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) is a sufficiently vague
    topic that there cannot really be an "implementation" of it. What kind
    of model/data are you working with? Or are you working with pure
    probability distributions? What kind of parameters are you trying to
    find? Are the parameters you are trying to choose discrete or
    continuous? Are you trying to find one parameter or several
    simultaneously? Are you able to find an analytic solution that
    transforms your MLE problem into a specific kind of mathematical
    problem, such as solving a system of linear equations?

    Assuming that you are able to compute directly the likelihood (or
    log-likelihood) of whatever it is you are interested in, then your MLE
    problem is simply an optimisation problem, so you may have better luck
    searching for implementations of optimisation (you will still need to
    answer the questions above to be able choose an optimisation method).

    Oscar

    Oscar Benjamin, Feb 2, 2013