maximum memory limit?

NetKev

I'm using eclipse with the J2EE web tools plugin and I keep getting out
of memory errors. So I am passing -Xms1000m -Xmx1500m to the jvm which
starts eclipse.

My problem is that when I use these options, I can hear some serious
thrashing(loud scsi drives) and while eclipse doesn't crash, it is
really slow and unresponsive. When I look at the javaw.exe process in
the task manager I see that the process is only allocated 107mb on
startup and increases to at most 142mb. My understanding is that the
-Xms option will tell java to allocate 1000m at a minimum.

Is this a limit to java, XP Pro or is the task manager not reporting
the real memory allocation? Also, the page file shows about 1.45gb(out
of 3gb) usage.

My machine is running windows XP Pro 32-bit and has 2gb of ram. It
also has (2) 2.0 GHz Xeons and 10000 rpm scsi drives.

p.s. obviously, the real question here is why is the j2ee web tools
plugin taking so much ram, but at this point, it's not an option not to
use it.