maximum memory limit?

Discussion in 'Java' started by NetKev, Oct 3, 2006.

  1. NetKev

    NetKev Guest

    I'm using eclipse with the J2EE web tools plugin and I keep getting out
    of memory errors. So I am passing -Xms1000m -Xmx1500m to the jvm which
    starts eclipse.

    My problem is that when I use these options, I can hear some serious
    thrashing(loud scsi drives) and while eclipse doesn't crash, it is
    really slow and unresponsive. When I look at the javaw.exe process in
    the task manager I see that the process is only allocated 107mb on
    startup and increases to at most 142mb. My understanding is that the
    -Xms option will tell java to allocate 1000m at a minimum.

    Is this a limit to java, XP Pro or is the task manager not reporting
    the real memory allocation? Also, the page file shows about 1.45gb(out
    of 3gb) usage.

    My machine is running windows XP Pro 32-bit and has 2gb of ram. It
    also has (2) 2.0 GHz Xeons and 10000 rpm scsi drives.

    p.s. obviously, the real question here is why is the j2ee web tools
    plugin taking so much ram, but at this point, it's not an option not to
    use it.
    NetKev, Oct 3, 2006

  2. NetKev

    Baby Lion Guest