Maximum safe width for web pages?

SBR

Can anyone tell me what this is? I know the maximum safe width for 640x480
is 595, so I'm assuming for 800x600 it's around 755?

Whitecrest

Can anyone tell me what this is? I know the maximum safe width for 640x480
is 595, so I'm assuming for 800x600 it's around 755?

Safe? No width is safe.

Mark Parnell

Can anyone tell me what this is? I know the maximum safe width for 640x480
is 595,

Really? How do you know that?
so I'm assuming for 800x600 it's around 755?

Stop making assumptions. Like assuming that your visitor will have a
screen resolution of 800x600. And that even if they do, they will have
their browser window maximised. And that even if both of those are true,
they won't have a sidebar open.

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

SpaceGirl

SBR said:
Can anyone tell me what this is? I know the maximum safe width for 640x480
is 595, so I'm assuming for 800x600 it's around 755?

Yep, you're about right. Between 50 and 100 off either access. You really
should design for a flexible area unless your layout (or audience) dictate
otherwise, but then that's for you to decide.

SBR

Mark Parnell said:
Really? How do you know that?

I got it from a W3 document several years ago.
Stop making assumptions. Like assuming that your visitor will have a
screen resolution of 800x600. And that even if they do, they will have
their browser window maximised. And that even if both of those are true,
they won't have a sidebar open.

I'm not. I'm assuming they will have at LEAST resolution of 800x600.
Judging by the statistics of my web site visitors, no one is browsing my
page with a lower resolution, so it's not an assumption. And I am not
interested in catering to anyone who is using a 9" monitor and Windows 3.11
and is browsing in a 480 resolution. I won't sacrifice that much space for
1 visitor out of 500, or whatever the statistic may be. Hell, I wouldn't
give up the additional screenspace for 1 visitor out of 100. And if someone
is browsing the site with their browser not maximized, that is their
problem. They know that by having their browser open halfway, they're not
going to see a lot of web pages correctly. I am reasonable about
accessability, but not of the mindset that I have to make my site viewable
by every single possible instance of visitor. If I did, my page would have
to be completely text and black and white.

SBR

So you have decided that you can't ask questions in Usenet? I must have
missed that rule in the alt.usenet.rules FAQ.

SBR

Thanks. Unfortunately I have little experience with CSS and no time to
learn right now. I'm doing a site for a friend, and web design is not my
full time job, so I'm making it a fixed size. Besides, I don't really want
users to be able to change the width of the page, as I've allocated images
and text around each other so they will flow a certain way. I don't want
someone with a 2000 width resolution seeing all of a page's text at the very
top of the screen and the rest just having images.

I appreciate it!

Mark Parnell

Place for you to show your true colours, huh?

That's not quite what I meant, but something like that. :)
Obnoxious git :)

No, it just frustrates me when people complain because they don't like
the answers they get, as though they are entitled to only get answers
they like. If they want answers they like, they can pay someone to give
them. If they want the truth, I'm only too happy to oblige. :)

Call it my blunt Aussie nature if it helps. ;-)

SpaceGirl

Mark Parnell said:
That's not quite what I meant, but something like that. :)

No, it just frustrates me when people complain because they don't like
the answers they get, as though they are entitled to only get answers
they like. If they want answers they like, they can pay someone to give
them. If they want the truth, I'm only too happy to oblige. :)

Call it my blunt Aussie nature if it helps. ;-)

HEhhehe. Okay, I can live with that :D

Mark Parnell

So you have decided that you can't ask questions in Usenet? I must have
missed that rule in the alt.usenet.rules FAQ.

Who said anything about not asking questions? You just can't expect to
always get the answer you want.

Mark Parnell

I'm not. I'm assuming they will have at LEAST resolution of 800x600.

See - you're making unfounded assumptions again.

Besides, if their available browser canvas is more than 800px wide (or
whatever random figure you settle on), they will have wasted space
around your site.
Judging by the statistics of my web site visitors, no one is browsing my
page with a lower resolution, so it's not an assumption.

You're assuming that your stats are accurate. Screen resolution cannot
be determined accurately (nor is it relevant anyway), therefore the
stats are not necessarily accurate (they may be, but you have no way of
knowing).
And if someone
is browsing the site with their browser not maximized, that is their
problem.

Which makes it your problem, unless you want them to leave. A lot of
users don't have their browser window maximised. IE for one (not sure
about others) isn't even maximised by default. And even if they do have
it maximised, what about sidebars (e.g. the favourites bar in IE)?
They know that by having their browser open halfway, they're not
going to see a lot of web pages correctly.

So they will appreciate it when a site actually does fit without them
having to scroll horizontally.
I am reasonable about
accessability, but not of the mindset that I have to make my site viewable
by every single possible instance of visitor.

Isn't that what accessibility is? Making the site accessible to as many
visitors as possible?

But we're not talking about making the site viewable or not. We are
talking about making it fit to the visitors chosen browser canvas size.
We are assuming that they can already see the site. It is simply a
question of either making your site fit to one specific size, or to any
size.
If I did, my page would have to be completely text and black and white.

I hope you don't actually believe that.
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/www/html-smac.html

You are missing the point. The web is inherently fluid. It takes more
effort to make it a fixed size than it does to allow it to be fluid as
it should. Design your site to work with that fluidity, not against it.

Vladdy

SBR said:
Can anyone tell me what this is? I know the maximum safe width for 640x480
is 595, so I'm assuming for 800x600 it's around 755?
The only safe width I know of is 100%