Maximum safe width for web pages?

rossz

Mark said:
Call it my blunt Aussie nature if it helps. ;-)

Perhaps you can come to my office tomorrow and use your blunt Aussie
nature to explain to my boss exactly why I can't guarantee how the page
will look on all screens.

I've tried. I showed him at a lower resolution. At a higher
resolution. On different browsers, under different operating systems.
he still wants it to look "this way".

Please, just shoot me.

P.S. anyone want a job as a way underpaid web designer in the SF East
Bay? Knowlege of proper html/css required. Frontpage users need not
apply. I'm serious.

rossz

SBR said:
is browsing the site with their browser not maximized, that is their
problem. They know that by having their browser open halfway, they're not
going to see a lot of web pages correctly. I am reasonable about

I never, repeat NEVER, browse with it maximized.

Mark Parnell

Perhaps you can come to my office tomorrow and use your blunt Aussie
nature to explain to my boss exactly why I can't guarantee how the page
will look on all screens.

LOL. Show him on a text browser (e.g. Lynx). Ask him how he expects it
to display the same as it does in a graphical browser. :)
P.S. anyone want a job as a way underpaid web designer in the SF East
Bay? Knowlege of proper html/css required. Frontpage users need not
apply. I'm serious.

The commuting would be a killer, sorry.

Kris

SBR said:
I am reasonable about
accessability, but not of the mindset that I have to make my site viewable
by every single possible instance of visitor. If I did, my page would have
to be completely text and black and white.

Who told you that?
In time you will feel ashamed for having made this statement.

Kris

Call it my blunt Aussie nature if it helps. ;-)

Perhaps you can come to my office tomorrow and use your blunt Aussie
nature to explain to my boss exactly why I can't guarantee how the page
will look on all screens.

I've tried. I showed him at a lower resolution. At a higher
resolution. On different browsers, under different operating systems.
he still wants it to look "this way".[/QUOTE]

Give lies to the ones living them.

Whitecrest

rosszNOSPAM@vamos- said:
Mark Parnell wrote:
Perhaps you can come to my office tomorrow and use your blunt Aussie
nature to explain to my boss exactly why I can't guarantee how the page
will look on all screens.

I've tried. I showed him at a lower resolution. At a higher
resolution. On different browsers, under different operating systems.
he still wants it to look "this way".

At this point you have 2 choices. Build it like the boss wants, or walk
away.

Whitecrest

Who told you that?

Well the statement is a little extreme, but he will loose the ability to
present things the way he wants if he makes it visible to all. And if
you follow the "presentation doesn't matter" line of thinking, this is
not an issue. If you are in the "presentation matters" camp, he is
partially right.
In time you will feel ashamed for having made this statement.

In time = AFTER all the browsers follow standards. But until then he is
partially right.

Hywel Jenkins

SBR said:
I got it from a W3 document several years ago.

I had Windows '95 several years ago.

And if someone
is browsing the site with their browser not maximized, that is their
problem.

Of course it is. Especially if yours is a site that's selling items and
that user decides not to buy something. Very smart business move on
your part. Fsck 'em. If the customer can't be arsed to live by my
rules, then I won't let them buy anything.
They know that by having their browser open halfway, they're not
going to see a lot of web pages correctly. I am reasonable about
accessability,

Obviously you're not. An issue with designing to a particular width is
that once the screen is scaled, your site is screwed.

but not of the mindset that I have to make my site viewable
by every single possible instance of visitor. If I did, my page would have
to be completely text and black and white.

Not necessarily, but it should degrade to a usable level in black &
white, text only.

Stephen Goodman

Mark Parnell said:
This is usenet, not a helpdesk.

For this one usenet appears to be nothing more than a dunghill for him to
stand upon and crap on others. Perhaps he should get out more often and
away from the keyboard. And develop some manners.

SpaceGirl

rossz said:
Perhaps you can come to my office tomorrow and use your blunt Aussie
nature to explain to my boss exactly why I can't guarantee how the page
will look on all screens.

I've tried. I showed him at a lower resolution. At a higher
resolution. On different browsers, under different operating systems.
he still wants it to look "this way".

Please, just shoot me.

P.S. anyone want a job as a way underpaid web designer in the SF East
Bay? Knowlege of proper html/css required. Frontpage users need not
apply. I'm serious.

Accept teleworkers? :)

SBR

Oh. So what do I do if I have an image that is 200 width? I guess I
shouldn't use it in case your window is only opened up to 100 width.