    through POST?

    Brian

    , Sep 28, 2006

  2. Tim Slattery Guest

    wrote:

    >What is the maximum size of POST data? A page on the ASP FAQ web site
    >(http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/forms/what-is-the-limit-on-form/post-parameters.html)
    >is confusing me:
    >
    >"While GET is limited to as low as 1024 characters, POST data is
    >limited to 2 MB on IIS 4.0, and 128 KB on IIS 5.0. Each name/value is
    >limited to 1024 characters, as imposed by the SGML spec."
    >
    >Does this last sentence mean that no form field can submit more than
    >1024 (or 1024 minus the length of the form field name) characters
    >through POST?

    That can't possible be true. You use POST to upload entire files, in
    which case the size of the request can be many megabytes.

    The first paragraph of that article says this:

    <quote>
    Unlike QueryString data, POSTed form data has a very high number of
    allotted characters. This is because the data is transferred in the
    headers and not in the URL.
    </quote>

    This is garbage. Data in a POST request is sent in the body of the
    request *AFTER THE HEADERS*, that's why huge amounts of data can be
    stuffed in there. I wouldn't put a whole lot of trust in this FAQ
    site.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)