maybe OT: uploading files w/ cgi

darius

Hello,

I am trying to write a script that displays (with hypertext links) the names
of every file in a certain directory. I have finished the directory listing
part (and appropriate html), but what I need to do now is be able to upload
files and allow them to be downloaded by others.

Currently, I am able to upload the files to the desired folder...but I am
not able to view them online as I am able to do with the files in the folder
I put there originially. The ownership of the files is different, but when I
manually change them it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Although
I see the new file's name on my page, when I click on its link, I get
"Object not found!...Error 404".

Does anyone know what is different about the files I upload and the ones I
create on the server myself?

Thanks,
Dari

Paul Lalli

Hello,

I am trying to write a script that displays (with hypertext links) the names
of every file in a certain directory. I have finished the directory listing
part (and appropriate html), but what I need to do now is be able to upload
files and allow them to be downloaded by others.

Currently, I am able to upload the files to the desired folder...but I am
not able to view them online as I am able to do with the files in the folder
I put there originially. The ownership of the files is different, but when I
manually change them it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Although
I see the new file's name on my page, when I click on its link, I get
"Object not found!...Error 404".

Does anyone know what is different about the files I upload and the ones I
create on the server myself?

404 means "no such file exists at this location", not "you don't have
permission to see this file". The two possibilities are
1) The files are not located where you think they are.
2) The links you are generating are not pointing to where you think they
are.

My initial guess would be that you're not uploading the files as correctly
as you think you are. Without any code to look at, however, there's no
way to be sure.

Paul Lalli

darius

404 means "no such file exists at this location", not "you don't have
permission to see this file". The two possibilities are
1) The files are not located where you think they are.
2) The links you are generating are not pointing to where you think they
are.

Thanks for your response. It turned out to be case 2. And here I was just
about to send a reply saying "well of course i've checked the obvious!". I'm
an idiot.