MCAD exam question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Wee Bubba, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Wee Bubba

    Wee Bubba Guest

    hello.

    I have decided to study for my MCAD qualifications. I am definetely
    going to do a core exam in "Developing Web Applications With C#". I
    am also doing a core exam in "Developing XML Services and Server
    Components With C#".

    These qualifications are very important to me as I am emigrating in
    less than 12 months and I will need to get a job in Australia. I am
    stuck about which 3rd elective exam to take. I am considering doing
    the Windows Forms exam. I have never coded with WinForms before and
    would much prefer to do ASP.NET. the only reason I would be doing a
    WinForms exam is because I am worried there might not be many ASP.NET
    jobs in Sydney and I figire I am enhancing my chances to get a job if
    I also know WinForms.

    Will the WinForms exam be a shrewd choice for my 3rd elective as this
    will make me more versatile? Or should I not be trying to spread
    myself too thin? i.e. should I be concentrating purely on ASP.NET
    instead if that is what I want to do? In this case there's electives
    I could take in SQL Server 2000 or C# security.

    I appreciate theres not a definitive answer but I am just looking for
    some advice please.

    Thanks.
    Wee Bubba, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Wee Bubba

    Raterus Guest

    I'll just mention what my company, and I'm sure many other companies are quickly realizing.

    Why make a bloated,distrubuted to all workstations, make sure they have the .net framework, whoops...new version..distrubute it again--winform application when you can create an asp.net application, which for the most part can do most everything you'd want a winform application can, and if you need to make a change, it is just in one place! Plus you have all the design flexibility you want in that it is a webpage!

    --Michael

    Raterus, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Wee Bubba

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Raterus" <> wrote in message

    >Why make a bloated,distrubuted to all workstations, make sure they have the

    ..net framework, whoops...
    >new version..distrubute it again--winform application when you can create

    an asp.net application, which
    >for the most part can do most everything you'd want a winform application

    can, and if you need to make
    >a change, it is just in one place! Plus you have all the design

    flexibility you want in that it is a webpage!

    I couldn't agree more!
    Mark Rae, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Wee Bubba

    Mark Bond Guest

    I think you'll find more ASP.NET jobs in sydney - though its not such a
    big leap to Win Forms. I actually foudn the Win Forms exam easier,
    despite the fact I had only limited coding time with this at work
    (primarily ASP.NET for me). Theres quite a bit of crossover content
    between the exams as well (eg ADO.NET).

    anyway, good luck in Sydney - check out www.jobserve.com.au before you
    head over...

    MB

    Mark Bond, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Wee Bubba

    Wee Bubba Guest

    thanks a lot for the advice guys. i feel more confident leaving the
    WinForms exam out now as I would much prefer to do the exam in C#
    security.
    Wee Bubba, Jul 27, 2004