MDB or Web Service?

Discussion in 'Java' started by wizard of oz, Jun 23, 2008.

  1. wizard of oz

    wizard of oz Guest

    At the risk of starting a "preferences war", I often pondered this
    question...

    When would I use one or the other to implement a set of online services?
    What are the pros and cons of using one over the other? Has anyone come
    across a good "write up" comparing the different IPC mechanisms?
    Assuming there isn't a corporate standard that says "we only use X", is the
    choice a personal preference? Other than the "I know X but not Y reason",
    what are the factors in that preference?
    Does it makes sense to mix MDB's and Web Services to implement a single
    service offering or is it better to select a mechanism and stick with it?
    Have people looked at these and used something else (e.g. RMI, Sockets,
    something else)? If so why?
    Does it make a difference depending upon the App Server selected (e.g. one
    App server might be able to perform better using one mechanism compared to
    another App server that performs better with the other)? Has anyone come
    across any benchmarks on this front?

    If scope is important to you, I'm primarily thinking of a private service
    such as one that an organisation might implement on an Enterprise Bus to
    deliver services to a number of different application clients within an
    enterprise. However any comment on public services is also appreciated.

    TIA

    WOZ
     
    wizard of oz, Jun 23, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. wizard of oz

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    wizard of oz wrote:
    > When would I use one or the other to implement a set of online services?
    > What are the pros and cons of using one over the other? Has anyone come
    > across a good "write up" comparing the different IPC mechanisms?
    > Assuming there isn't a corporate standard that says "we only use X", is
    > the choice a personal preference? Other than the "I know X but not Y
    > reason", what are the factors in that preference?
    > Does it makes sense to mix MDB's and Web Services to implement a single
    > service offering or is it better to select a mechanism and stick with it?
    > Have people looked at these and used something else (e.g. RMI, Sockets,
    > something else)? If so why?
    > Does it make a difference depending upon the App Server selected (e.g.
    > one App server might be able to perform better using one mechanism
    > compared to another App server that performs better with the other)? Has
    > anyone come across any benchmarks on this front?
    >
    > If scope is important to you, I'm primarily thinking of a private
    > service such as one that an organisation might implement on an
    > Enterprise Bus to deliver services to a number of different application
    > clients within an enterprise. However any comment on public services is
    > also appreciated.


    I think message queues and web services (SOAP/HTTP) supplements each
    other not substitutes each other.

    A message queue is: async, intranet only, allows for 1:M interaction.

    A web service is: request-response, intranet and internet, does not
    allow for 1:M interaction.

    Two different solutions for two different problems.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jun 23, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wizard of oz

    Corneil Guest

    On Jun 23, 4:07 am, "wizard of oz" <> wrote:
    > At the risk of starting a "preferences war", I often pondered this
    > question...
    >
    > When would I use one or the other to implement a set of online services?
    > What are the pros and cons of using one over the other? Has anyone come
    > across a good "write up" comparing the different IPC mechanisms?
    > Assuming there isn't a corporate standard that says "we only use X", is the
    > choice a personal preference? Other than the "I know X but not Y reason",
    > what are the factors in that preference?
    > Does it makes sense to mix MDB's and Web Services to implement a single
    > service offering or is it better to select a mechanism and stick with it?
    > Have people looked at these and used something else (e.g. RMI, Sockets,
    > something else)? If so why?
    > Does it make a difference depending upon the App Server selected (e.g. one
    > App server might be able to perform better using one mechanism compared to
    > another App server that performs better with the other)? Has anyone come
    > across any benchmarks on this front?
    >
    > If scope is important to you, I'm primarily thinking of a private service
    > such as one that an organisation might implement on an Enterprise Bus to
    > deliver services to a number of different application clients within an
    > enterprise. However any comment on public services is also appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > WOZ


    Message Queue can be seen as the transport layer like HTTP is the
    transport layer for SOAP/HTTP which you would call a web service.
    You can also use SOAP/JMS which will use Message Queues as a transport
    layer.
    The biggest difference between Message Queues and HTTP is that
    Messages Queues can have higher throughput because a client and server
    can remain connected.
    Message Queues can be persistent which means the content is written to
    disk. You would not want to persist a request if you are actively
    waiting for the response because you are able to deal with a failure,
    however in the case where you do not want to wait for the response and
    expect reliable handling of your request persistent message queues
    provide the simplest mechanism for dealing with that requirement.

    Message Queues provide mechanisms for managing and distributing the
    workload across services.

    In some cases you would use an Enterprise Service Bus to configure an
    endpoint at a SOAP/HTTP endpoint but that is bound to SOAP/JMS
    endpoint on the bottom of the ESB.

    You would not expose a Message Queue based endpoint as a public
    service. You might use it with select business partners.
     
    Corneil, Jun 23, 2008
    #3
  4. wizard of oz

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:07:46 GMT, "wizard of oz" <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >mix MDB's


    what's an MDB? Surely you don't mean MS Access.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com
     
    Roedy Green, Jun 23, 2008
    #4
  5. On Jun 23, 11:06 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:07:46 GMT, "wizard of oz" <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    > >mix MDB's

    >
    > what's an MDB? Surely you don't mean MS Access.


    "Message-Driven Bean" -- an EJB that acts as a JMS MessageListener.

    -o
     
    Owen Jacobson, Jun 23, 2008
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    Faster access to MDB? MS Access MDB and ASP

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Jan 26, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    509
    Kevin Spencer
    Jan 27, 2005
  2. John  Schult

    MDB to MDB Event Notification

    John Schult, May 4, 2005, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    499
    John Schult
    May 4, 2005
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,852
  4. Manish Agarwal
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    683
    Gregory A. Beamer
    Jul 10, 2009
  5. Leo Violette
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,099
    Leo Violette
    Apr 17, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page