    Could somebody explain this term?

    Cheers

    Bernd
    bernd, Sep 26, 2006

  2. bernd

    -berlin.de Guest

    bernd <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > not very experienced with interprocess communication and not a native
    > English speaker I would like to know what the meaning of the expression
    > "child processes are reaped" is. I encountered it in connection with
    > Perl's waitpid-function.
    >
    > Could somebody explain this term?

    Under Unix, when a process exits while its parent process is still
    active, the process doesn't go away entirely. The entry in the process
    table is kept around containing the exit status and CPU time consumed.
    The parent process can access this information through the wait() and
    waitpid() commands. Only then, or when the parent process exits itself,
    is the process entry released entirely.

    This procedure is likened to the mythical situation after a person's
    death. The deceased's soul hangs around as a zombie until Death
    (the Grim Reaper) comes and takes care of it. Thus the term "reaper"
    for the procedure that calls waitpid() on the PIDs of finished child
    processes.

    Anno
    -berlin.de, Sep 26, 2006

  3. bernd

    bernd Guest

    Hi Anno,

    thank You for the detailed and plastically explanation. Brings me
    further ;-)

    Cheers

    Bernd

    bernd, Sep 26, 2006