meaning of enterprise application integration?

yogesh

Can anyone please tell me what is meant by enterprise application integration?
what are the enterprise application server?
How are they different from the normal web servers or application servers?

Regards,
Yogesh Joshi

Roedy Green

Can anyone please tell me what is meant by enterprise application integration?
what are the enterprise application server?
How are they different from the normal web servers or application servers?

It sounds like a buzzword from a sales brochure, but what it could
mean are tools for integrating legacy applications, e.g. old 3270 apps
with more modern ones.

Michael Borgwardt

yogesh said:
Can anyone please tell me what is meant by enterprise application integration?

In bigger companies, you usually have a horrible mess of numerous applications used
by various departments for specialized tasks, most of which adher to different
(if any) standards in their communication protocols and file formats.

Some try to avoid this by "standardizing on Microsoft", but monopoly problems aside,
even Microsoft doesn't have an integrated product for *everything*, and it may also
simply be too late.

Enterprise application integration describes the task of making these applications
play together, making them share data and thus avoiding duplicationand inconsistencies
and allowing management to get an overall view of what's going on.
what are the enterprise application server?

Different topic.
How are they different from the normal web servers or application servers?

Bigger, more complex, ostensibly more powerful, but most of all more expensive.

ohaya

yogesh said:
Can anyone please tell me what is meant by enterprise application integration?
what are the enterprise application server?
How are they different from the normal web servers or application servers?

Regards,
Yogesh Joshi

yogesh,

To keep it simple, look at the words :). "Enterprise Application" and
"Integration".

A lot of (especially the larger ones) companies and organizations (e.g.,
government) have developed and or deployed various different "enterprise
applications. These could be generic stuff like HR, Payroll,
accounting, inventory, whatever; or, it could include very specialized
applications.

Nowadays, many of these companies/organizations realize that they might
benefit (become more efficient) by 'integrating' those previously
independent applications.

So, the general idea of "Enterprise Application Integration" is putting
together something that ties those systems together in a way that makes
sense for the company/organization.

This last part ("that makes sense"), BTW, is what seems to be the most
difficult part of EAI, in that there are lots of tools and techniques to
get these systems to talk to each other, but, for various reasons, it's
not necessarily a good thing (in fact, it might be bad) to have all this
information flowing among all these applications.

As Roedy has alluded to, EAI is kind of a big thing nowadays, so lots of
companies who have products that may not really be EAI-related want to
call their products "EAI", and then they can charge the "Enterprise"
ticket price :).

JMHO.

Jim