Meaning of "most significant digits" in the printf documentation

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Mukesh_Singh_Nick@yahoo.com, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    What is meant by the "most significant digits" in the following
    statement?

    <BLOCKQUOTE>
    With %g and %G, the precision modifier determines the maximum number
    of significant digits displayed.</BLOCKQUOTE>

    The statement appears here: http://www.cppreference.com/stdio/printf.html

    Also, what do we mean by the magnitude of a floating point number?

    I understand that the magnitude of an integral is equal to its
    absolute value. However, I do not understand the meaning of the
    magnitude of a floating point.

    For a citation, please note the sentence below:

    <BLOCKQUOTE>A float number is typically a 32-bit quantity, with at
    least six significant digits and magnitude generally between about
    10^(-38) and 10^(+38).</BLOCKQUOTE>

    Source: K & R, Page 9, Second Edition
    , Jun 16, 2007

  2. writes:

    > What is meant by the "most significant digits" in the following
    > statement?
    >
    > <BLOCKQUOTE>

    Don't bother with markup like this. Usenet news is a plain text
    medium. People sometimes use markers for humorous effect
    (e.g. <sarcasm>really?</sarcasm>) but don't try to effect the llok of
    your post with HTML or similar.

    > With %g and %G, the precision modifier determines the maximum number
    > of significant digits displayed.</BLOCKQUOTE>

    You say "most" at the top but the quote has "maximum" so I am i bit
    confused about what is bothering you. The precision determines how
    much of number gets represented. Obviously only the most significant
    digits are used but you can say "no more than X digits". There may
    be other stuff printed, because %g might use scientific notation, but
    the precision limits the number of significant digits printed. The
    number you give is a maximum because fewer may be sufficient:

    4.0e30 using %.3g prints "4e+30"
    4.3e30 using %.1g prints "4e+30"
    4.3e30 using %.2g prints "4.1e+30"

    > The statement appears here:
    > http://www.cppreference.com/stdio/printf.html

    Look like a C++ reference. This may lead you astray if you are using
    it for C. Read the C FAQ instead: http://c-faq.com/

    > Also, what do we mean by the magnitude of a floating point number?
    >
    > I understand that the magnitude of an integral is equal to its
    > absolute value. However, I do not understand the meaning of the
    > magnitude of a floating point.

    It usually means exactly the same -- the absolute value. It certainly
    does in the quote you cite from K&R:

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Chris Torek Guest

    In article <>
    <> wrote:
    >What is meant by the "most significant digits" in [printf %g formats]

    Actually, it is just "significant digits", with no "most"
    qualifier.

    For much about this and about your earlier question about floating
    point, see <http://web.torek.net/torek/c/numbers.html>.
    Chris Torek, Jun 17, 2007