Media Center any good?

G Dean Blake

I just bought a new laptop to be used as my dev box but it came with Windows
Media Center. Does this have all of the features of xp pro such as IIS, and
other things required by asp.net developers or am I going to have to Install
Windows XP Pro?

Is there any list of what xp pro has that media center does not?

Is media center based on xp pro or xp home?

Thanks,

gerry

I have been running windows media center edition 2005 for some time now on
a laptop which I use for development purposes - it is joined to a domain.
I also have it installed on a desktop pc also joined to a domain.
it IS full blown XPpro, it does come with IIS, you CAN join it to a domain
with one simple registry setting ( although it isn't officially supported )
I have not run into any problems, quirks or differences from XPpro.
supposedly you lose the use of SOME extenders - but I have yet to encounter
any use for extender anyway.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Windows XP Media Center is essentially Windows XP Pro with some extra media
stuff bolted on.
Therefore it does support IIS and everything else that Windows XP Pro comes
with.

Tom Dacon

Well excuse me, but would you be willing to share with the newsgroup what
that 'simple registry setting' might be???

Thanks for your infinite kindness...