media player / frames

Darrell

I have a musician client who insists on having a Flash player which
starts playing a song when the site is loaded. (I realize that the user
should have a say in the matter, and if I didn't need the money I'd
insist on it.)

Worse, she wants the player to play the song *continuously*, even when
other pages in the site are visited (as opposed to the song starting
over on every click). The only way I can think to accomplish this is to
place the player in a frame, and I hate frames almost as much as I hate
unrequested audio. This may simply be because I don't know that much
about frames and have no desire to dig into them, if it's not necessary.

I simply don't have much experience with media players and would love
some advice on whether this is possible without (or even with!) frames.
As mentioned I already realize it's undesirable.

Many thanks in advance.

Jose

I have a musician client who insists on having a Flash player which starts playing a song when the site is loaded. (I realize that the user should have a say in the matter, and if I didn't need the money I'd insist on it.)

When you find out how to do it (I don't know the answer), create a site
with some music that your client does not like. Put content that your
client is interested in behind that music (such as a demo, your prices,
etc). Have the client go to that site. When the client is annoyed
enough to see the evil, you can gently break it to her that she should
re-think her concept.

Jose

Neredbojias

[...]

Go ahead, use frames. Everything else is wrong, anyway. -Pathetically
wrong.

Darrell

Jose wrote:

<snip> When the client is annoyed enough to see the evil, you can
gently break it to her that she should re-think her concept.</snip>

Many thanks, Jose. But I question whether an evil person see evil? I
suspect she'd simply rationalize it...

<rationalizing>My music is really cool, so it works on my site. This
other music is just crap. Can we turn it off?</rationalizing>

Blinky the Shark

Darrell said:
Jose wrote:

<snip> When the client is annoyed enough to see the evil, you can gently
break it to her that she should re-think her concept.</snip>

Many thanks, Jose. But I question whether an evil person see evil? I
suspect she'd simply rationalize it...

Try bagpipe music. End of rationalization.

Darrell

Blinky said:
Try bagpipe music. End of rationalization.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd have to listen to it as
well, while I was developing the site...

Maybe I should just tie her up and throw her under a lorry. One might
not find this solution in any HTML tutorial, but it would sure as hell
solve the problem. And what jury would convict me?

Toby Inkster

Darrell said:
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd have to listen to it as
well, while I was developing the site...

Use a script to supply different music to different IP addresses.

Jose

<rationalizing>My music is really cool, so it works on my site. This other music is just crap. Can we turn it off?</rationalizing>

"Nope. That's the way it works."

Evil may not "see" evil, but they recognize it when it injures them.

Jose

Blinky the Shark

Darrell said:
Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd have to listen to it as
well, while I was developing the site...

Maybe I should just tie her up and throw her under a lorry. One might not
find this solution in any HTML tutorial, but it would sure as hell solve
the problem. And what jury would convict me?

Compared to bagpipe music, that's letting her off easy.

Q. What's the difference beetween a lawnmower and bagpipes?

Answer below spoiler space...

A. You can tune a lawnmower.

Darrell

ROF

Q: What's the difference between a trampoline and a set of bagpipes?

A: You take your work boots off when you jump on a trampoline!

cwdjrxyz

Darrell said:
I have a musician client who insists on having a Flash player which
starts playing a song when the site is loaded. (I realize that the user
should have a say in the matter, and if I didn't need the money I'd
insist on it.)

Worse, she wants the player to play the song *continuously*, even when
other pages in the site are visited (as opposed to the song starting
over on every click). The only way I can think to accomplish this is to
place the player in a frame, and I hate frames almost as much as I hate
unrequested audio. This may simply be because I don't know that much
about frames and have no desire to dig into them, if it's not necessary.

I simply don't have much experience with media players and would love
some advice on whether this is possible without (or even with!) frames.
As mentioned I already realize it's undesirable.

I know that people have made slide shows using frames for the images
and music that keeps playing as slides change. Most likely you could
use much the same code to change pages rather than just images.
Unfortunately, I do not have a url for you at the moment but a search
using slideshow and music might turn up something that you can adapt.

This sort of thing is what the media presentation xml language SMIL is
designed for. You can run music, images, web pages, video etc as
exactly timed events in parallel and/or series. Unfortunately most
browser will not see SMIL. However the recent Real players have SMIL
built into them, but I doubt if you client would want a page which
would work only when Real is installed or some other SMIL player or
obscure browser is used.

I have used a rather complicated dhtml slide show in which all of the
images are on the page at once and are turned on and off using
visibility. Javascript of course is required. It is not difficult to
also include music that continues as images are turned on and off. Most
likely web pages could be used instead of images, but I do not have
time to check this out just now. This code is a few years old and might
need updating in addition to revisions to display pages instead of
images, if that proved reasonable.

cwdjrxyz

cwdjrxyz said:
I know that people have made slide shows using frames for the images
and music that keeps playing as slides change. Most likely you could
use much the same code to change pages rather than just images.
Unfortunately, I do not have a url for you at the moment but a search
using slideshow and music might turn up something that you can adapt.

Take a look at http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/gest/slideshow.html .
Yes, you could use text only on frame pages without images. This show
is set up to automatically change pages, so you would have to modify
the code to go to the page on clicking a page url. The script used is
rather old, and it uses browser sniffer detection rather than feature
detection. Some of the poeple over at the javascript group would have a
hissy fit if they saw this type of old script. However, at least this
reference may give you an idea of how frames pages with music are
handled.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Toby Inkster <usenet200604
@tobyinkster.co.uk> vouchsafed:
It needn't be.
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/bestgallery3/

No Javascript. Works in IE7b2, Opera 9tp2 (should be fine in 7+, but
untested), Firefox 1.5 (should be OK in 1.0, but untested).

You could get that to work in IE6, too. Might have to wrap the thumbs in
links, but so what? -Style them out. (I noticed IE6 sometimes need a
background stated somewhere for hover to work, as well.)

If you want an example, check my index page for a single simple one.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
At what? I don't see any context quoted. Sure, it's not necessary here,
for a joke, but it's a good habit to be in.

If it was not necessary in this case to quote a context, then it
was not necessary in this case. I am sensitive to church-like
behaviour at Easter time...

Blinky the Shark

dorayme said:
If it was not necessary in this case to quote a context, then it was not
necessary in this case. I am sensitive to church-like behaviour at Easter
time...

The poster got over it. You try, too.

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
The poster got over it. You try, too.

I can't do this. I have tried. It just prays on what is left of
my mind. But, Reverend, I liked your bagpipe joke(s)...