    some advice on whether this is possible without (or even with!) frames.
    As mentioned I already realize it's undesirable.

    Many thanks in advance.
    Darrell, Apr 15, 2006

  2. Darrell

    Jose Guest

    > I have a musician client who insists on having a Flash player which starts playing a song when the site is loaded. (I realize that the user should have a say in the matter, and if I didn't need the money I'd insist on it.)

    When you find out how to do it (I don't know the answer), create a site
    with some music that your client does not like. Put content that your
    client is interested in behind that music (such as a demo, your prices,
    etc). Have the client go to that site. When the client is annoyed
    enough to see the evil, you can gently break it to her that she should
    re-think her concept.

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
    Jose, Apr 15, 2006

  3. Darrell

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Darrell <>
    declaimed:

    > I have a musician client who insists on having a Flash player which
    > starts playing a song when the site is loaded. (I realize that the user
    > should have a say in the matter, and if I didn't need the money I'd
    > insist on it.)
    >
    > Worse, she wants the player to play the song *continuously*, even when
    > other pages in the site are visited (as opposed to the song starting
    > over on every click). The only way I can think to accomplish this is to
    > place the player in a frame, and I hate frames almost as much as I hate
    > unrequested audio. This may simply be because I don't know that much
    > about frames and have no desire to dig into them, if it's not necessary.
    >
    > I simply don't have much experience with media players and would love
    > some advice on whether this is possible without (or even with!) frames.
    > As mentioned I already realize it's undesirable.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Go ahead, use frames. Everything else is wrong, anyway. -Pathetically
    wrong.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 15, 2006
  4. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Jose wrote:

    <snip> When the client is annoyed enough to see the evil, you can
    gently break it to her that she should re-think her concept.</snip>

    Many thanks, Jose. But I question whether an evil person see evil? I
    suspect she'd simply rationalize it...

    <rationalizing>My music is really cool, so it works on my site. This
    other music is just crap. Can we turn it off?</rationalizing>
    Darrell, Apr 15, 2006
  5. Darrell wrote:

    > Jose wrote:
    >
    > <snip> When the client is annoyed enough to see the evil, you can gently
    > break it to her that she should re-think her concept.</snip>
    >
    > Many thanks, Jose. But I question whether an evil person see evil? I
    > suspect she'd simply rationalize it...

    Try bagpipe music. End of rationalization.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Try bagpipe music. End of rationalization.

    Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd have to listen to it as
    well, while I was developing the site...

    Maybe I should just tie her up and throw her under a lorry. One might
    not find this solution in any HTML tutorial, but it would sure as hell
    solve the problem. And what jury would convict me?
    Darrell, Apr 15, 2006
  7. Darrell

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Darrell wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Try bagpipe music. End of rationalization.

    > Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd have to listen to it as
    > well, while I was developing the site...

    Use a script to supply different music to different IP addresses.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Apr 15, 2006
  8. Darrell

    Jose Guest

    > <rationalizing>My music is really cool, so it works on my site. This other music is just crap. Can we turn it off?</rationalizing>

    "Nope. That's the way it works."

    Evil may not "see" evil, but they recognize it when it injures them.

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
    Jose, Apr 16, 2006
  9. Darrell wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Try bagpipe music. End of rationalization.

    > Actually, that's not a bad idea. Of course, I'd have to listen to it as
    > well, while I was developing the site...
    >
    > Maybe I should just tie her up and throw her under a lorry. One might not
    > find this solution in any HTML tutorial, but it would sure as hell solve
    > the problem. And what jury would convict me?

    Compared to bagpipe music, that's letting her off easy.

    Q. What's the difference beetween a lawnmower and bagpipes?

    Answer below spoiler space...

    A. You can tune a lawnmower.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 16, 2006
  10. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    ROF

    Q: What's the difference between a trampoline and a set of bagpipes?

    A: You take your work boots off when you jump on a trampoline!
    Darrell, Apr 16, 2006
  11. Darrell wrote:

    > ROF

    At what? I don't see any context quoted. Sure, it's not necessary here,
    for a joke, but it's a good habit to be in.

    > Q: What's the difference between a trampoline and a set of bagpipes?
    >
    > A: You take your work boots off when you jump on a trampoline!

    I just found this:

    http://members.aol.com/wgority/jokes.html

    Here's one of my favorite music jokes:

    http://blinkynet.net/humor/story/jdrums.html

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 16, 2006
  12. Darrell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    Darrell wrote:
    > I have a musician client who insists on having a Flash player which
    > starts playing a song when the site is loaded. (I realize that the user
    > should have a say in the matter, and if I didn't need the money I'd
    > insist on it.)
    >
    > Worse, she wants the player to play the song *continuously*, even when
    > other pages in the site are visited (as opposed to the song starting
    > over on every click). The only way I can think to accomplish this is to
    > place the player in a frame, and I hate frames almost as much as I hate
    > unrequested audio. This may simply be because I don't know that much
    > about frames and have no desire to dig into them, if it's not necessary.
    >
    > I simply don't have much experience with media players and would love
    > some advice on whether this is possible without (or even with!) frames.
    > As mentioned I already realize it's undesirable.

    I know that people have made slide shows using frames for the images
    and music that keeps playing as slides change. Most likely you could
    use much the same code to change pages rather than just images.
    Unfortunately, I do not have a url for you at the moment but a search
    using slideshow and music might turn up something that you can adapt.

    This sort of thing is what the media presentation xml language SMIL is
    designed for. You can run music, images, web pages, video etc as
    exactly timed events in parallel and/or series. Unfortunately most
    browser will not see SMIL. However the recent Real players have SMIL
    built into them, but I doubt if you client would want a page which
    would work only when Real is installed or some other SMIL player or
    obscure browser is used.

    I have used a rather complicated dhtml slide show in which all of the
    images are on the page at once and are turned on and off using
    visibility. Javascript of course is required. It is not difficult to
    also include music that continues as images are turned on and off. Most
    likely web pages could be used instead of images, but I do not have
    time to check this out just now. This code is a few years old and might
    need updating in addition to revisions to display pages instead of
    images, if that proved reasonable.
    cwdjrxyz, Apr 16, 2006
  13. Darrell

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > I know that people have made slide shows using frames for the images
    > and music that keeps playing as slides change. Most likely you could
    > use much the same code to change pages rather than just images.
    > Unfortunately, I do not have a url for you at the moment but a search
    > using slideshow and music might turn up something that you can adapt.

    Take a look at http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/gest/slideshow.html .
    Yes, you could use text only on frame pages without images. This show
    is set up to automatically change pages, so you would have to modify
    the code to go to the page on clicking a page url. The script used is
    rather old, and it uses browser sniffer detection rather than feature
    detection. Some of the poeple over at the javascript group would have a
    hissy fit if they saw this type of old script. However, at least this
    reference may give you an idea of how frames pages with music are
    handled.
    cwdjrxyz, Apr 16, 2006
  14. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Darrell wrote:
    >
    >> ROF

    > At what? I don't see any context quoted. Sure, it's not necessary here,
    > for a joke, but it's a good habit to be in.

    It is indeed. Sorry.
    Darrell, Apr 16, 2006
  15. Darrell

    Darrell Guest

    Darrell, Apr 16, 2006
  16. Darrell

    Toby Inkster Guest

    cwdjrxyz wrote:

    > I have used a rather complicated dhtml slide show in which all of the
    > images are on the page at once and are turned on and off using
    > visibility. Javascript of course is required.

    It needn't be.
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/bestgallery3/

    No Javascript. Works in IE7b2, Opera 9tp2 (should be fine in 7+, but
    untested), Firefox 1.5 (should be OK in 1.0, but untested).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./david_gray/a_new_day_at_midnight/11_easy_way_to_cry.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Apr 16, 2006
  17. Darrell

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Toby Inkster <usenet200604
    @tobyinkster.co.uk> vouchsafed:

    > cwdjrxyz wrote:
    >
    >> I have used a rather complicated dhtml slide show in which all of the
    >> images are on the page at once and are turned on and off using
    >> visibility. Javascript of course is required.

    > It needn't be.
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/bestgallery3/
    >
    > No Javascript. Works in IE7b2, Opera 9tp2 (should be fine in 7+, but
    > untested), Firefox 1.5 (should be OK in 1.0, but untested).

    You could get that to work in IE6, too. Might have to wrap the thumbs in
    links, but so what? -Style them out. (I noticed IE6 sometimes need a
    background stated somewhere for hover to work, as well.)

    If you want an example, check my index page for a single simple one.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity can have limits.
    Neredbojias, Apr 16, 2006
  18. Darrell

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > > ROF

    > At what? I don't see any context quoted. Sure, it's not necessary here,
    > for a joke, but it's a good habit to be in.

    If it was not necessary in this case to quote a context, then it
    was not necessary in this case. I am sensitive to church-like
    behaviour at Easter time...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 17, 2006
  19. dorayme wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> > ROF

    >> At what? I don't see any context quoted. Sure, it's not necessary
    >> here, for a joke, but it's a good habit to be in.

    > If it was not necessary in this case to quote a context, then it was not
    > necessary in this case. I am sensitive to church-like behaviour at Easter
    > time...

    The poster got over it. You try, too.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 17, 2006
  20. Darrell

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > The poster got over it. You try, too.

    I can't do this. I have tried. It just prays on what is left of
    my mind. But, Reverend, I liked your bagpipe joke(s)...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 17, 2006