media query and mobile devices

Discussion in 'HTML' started by j, May 8, 2013.

  1. j

    j Guest

    I see it is time to update my understanding of mobile devices.

    I found media query:

    http://www.studiopress.com/design/website-respond-mobile-devices.htm

    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/

    but it doesn't work in IE8, which is isn't dead enough yet. How does it
    degrade and what does it break?

    There seems to be two main ways of switching layouts for screen size,
    one is to have two (or more) site versions, and serve up the appropriate
    version. Somewhat like having different language versions.

    The other relies on media query (or @import switches) and perhaps some
    javascript.

    What is the current best practice for touch devices? What good resources
    are there?

    Jeff
    j, May 8, 2013

  2. j

    TK Guest

    On 5/7/2013 10:50 PM, j wrote:
    > I see it is time to update my understanding of mobile devices.
    >
    > I found media query:
    >
    > http://www.studiopress.com/design/website-respond-mobile-devices.htm
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/
    >
    > but it doesn't work in IE8, which is isn't dead enough yet. How does it
    > degrade and what does it break?
    >
    > There seems to be two main ways of switching layouts for screen size,
    > one is to have two (or more) site versions, and serve up the appropriate
    > version. Somewhat like having different language versions.
    >
    > The other relies on media query (or @import switches) and perhaps some
    > javascript.

    Sorry, I do not see the need to make a separate page for a mobile
    device. Mine works fine on iPhone, Android, and iPad.

    --
    TK ~ aka Terry Kimpling
    http://wejuggle2.com/video.php
    TK, May 8, 2013

  3. j

    Tim W Guest

    On 08/05/2013 04:50, j wrote:
    > I see it is time to update my understanding of mobile devices.
    >
    > I found media query:
    >
    > http://www.studiopress.com/design/website-respond-mobile-devices.htm
    >
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/
    >
    > but it doesn't work in IE8, which is isn't dead enough yet. How does it
    > degrade and what does it break?

    The good thing is that no handheld device has ever used IE8 to display
    web content (and surely never will) so it matters not a jot that it
    doesn't work.

    Tim W
    Tim W, May 8, 2013
  4. j

    dorayme Guest

    In article <kmdhj4$jfv$-september.org>,
    TK <> wrote:

    Your peacockbalance.gif helped me train my cat to balance a scotch on
    its head, on top of which is a small tray, on top of which is a cognac
    glass. I will look at it again and see if it helps me put on another
    layer.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 8, 2013
  5. j

    TK Guest

    On 5/8/2013 5:30 PM, dorayme wrote:
    > In article <kmdhj4$jfv$-september.org>,
    > TK <> wrote:

    > Your peacockbalance.gif helped me train my cat to balance a scotch on
    > its head, on top of which is a small tray, on top of which is a cognac
    > glass. I will look at it again and see if it helps me put on another
    > layer.

    Glad to be of help. I must not be an old dog yet (67) as I just learned
    a new trick. I can balance a peacock feather on each hand while hula
    hooping.

    TK, May 9, 2013