media query and mobile devices

I see it is time to update my understanding of mobile devices.

I found media query:

http://www.studiopress.com/design/website-respond-mobile-devices.htm

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/

but it doesn't work in IE8, which is isn't dead enough yet. How does it
degrade and what does it break?

There seems to be two main ways of switching layouts for screen size,
one is to have two (or more) site versions, and serve up the appropriate
version. Somewhat like having different language versions.

The other relies on media query (or @import switches) and perhaps some
javascript.

What is the current best practice for touch devices? What good resources
are there?

Jeff

TK

I see it is time to update my understanding of mobile devices.

I found media query:

http://www.studiopress.com/design/website-respond-mobile-devices.htm

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-mediaqueries/

but it doesn't work in IE8, which is isn't dead enough yet. How does it
degrade and what does it break?

There seems to be two main ways of switching layouts for screen size,
one is to have two (or more) site versions, and serve up the appropriate
version. Somewhat like having different language versions.

The other relies on media query (or @import switches) and perhaps some
javascript.

Sorry, I do not see the need to make a separate page for a mobile
device. Mine works fine on iPhone, Android, and iPad.

Tim W

dorayme

TK said:

Your peacockbalance.gif helped me train my cat to balance a scotch on
its head, on top of which is a small tray, on top of which is a cognac
glass. I will look at it again and see if it helps me put on another
layer.

TK

Your peacockbalance.gif helped me train my cat to balance a scotch on
its head, on top of which is a small tray, on top of which is a cognac
glass. I will look at it again and see if it helps me put on another
layer.
Glad to be of help. I must not be an old dog yet (67) as I just learned
a new trick. I can balance a peacock feather on each hand while hula
hooping.