Membership and Roles

bbawa1

Hi,

I am working on Membership and roles in Asp.net 2.0. I am using
logincontrols in asp.net 2.0. When I use these login controls it
automatically creates ASPNETDB.mdf database. which has it's own
tables for membership. But I can't move this database to live
server. Over live server I have only one database TWSAN I just want
to copy tables from this database to TWSAN. Is this possible.

Thanks,

Roland Dick

server. Over live server I have only one database TWSAN I just want
to copy tables from this database to TWSAN. Is this possible.

It is possible, but you have to be careful which tables to copy first
because of the foreign key constraints.
It might be easier to copy your TWSAN database onto your development
machine, adapt web.config to make the membership controls use that
database, and copy the database back to the live server (unless there
are changes, e.g. inserts, made to the database in between, of course).

As for how to configure web.config to use something else than aspnet.mdf
for membership, have a look at
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998317.aspx (or google for
aspnet_regsql membership asp.net). Especially important is the
<membership><providers> section. Aspnet_regsql is a tool that creates
the necessary tables in your database and comes with the framework.

Hope this helps,

Roland

sloan

That db is a just a default.

And you dont have to use the default.

Look up "membership provider" and "sql server 2000".

You don't have to use 2000, but it'll show you how to put your data into a
non default database.

There's even an Access implementation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/eula.aspx?id=96713a8e-b8d4-4d6e-bb8f-027e6c8e15d8

I'm not recommending Access, (unless its a super small site perhaps) BUT
again, shows you how to switch out to a non default db.