Membership ApplicationName

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by ePrint, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. ePrint

    ePrint Guest

    Asp.Net v2.0
    I have created a web application and I am using it from a single website and
    database. The web application has different ‘portals’ – each independent and
    I am using the Membership & Roles ApplicationName to separate out my
    different groups of users within the membership database.

    I had been having problems with ‘random’ bugs - as though my Membership
    database was 'sharing' information between users and applications rather than
    keeping it separate.

    I have now come across this article. Is what it is saying about Membership
    being a singleton true?

    The Membership and Role classes use the singleton design pattern. I did not
    instantiate either one in my code to access their ApplicationName properties,
    I just used the instance that is automatically created for me. All
    applications running on the same web server share the same instances of these
    classes, and when one application changes a property, all applications are
    affected. How can different applications use separate roles and users without
    stepping on each other then?

    If your applications are big enough to each have their own web server - or
    web farm - there is no problem. You can set the application names in
    machine.config and not worry about it. They can share a centralized
    membership services database without interfering with each other. You could
    set up separate databases to support membership services for each
    application, at the loss of some centralization. You could also just use the
    stored procedures directly, rather than accessing them through the Membership
    and Role methods. This approach lets you set the application name directly,
    without reference to the properties.

    http://microsoft.apress.com/feature/59/membership-information-and-multiple-applications

    ePrint, Nov 26, 2007

  2. ePrint wrote:
    > Asp.Net v2.0

    recommended practice), but this is a classic asp newsgroup. ASP.Net is
    a different technology from classic ASP. While you may be lucky enough
    to find a dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you
    can eliminate the luck factor by posting your question to a newsgroup
    where the dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
    to help you.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 26, 2007