Membership Provider deployment/App_Data directory just wont die!!! :-)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeppe Jespersen, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. I'm deploying a web app that uses the Membership API. Great stuff. Until
    deployment :-(

    On my development maching, i run everything from a database registered in
    the SQL Server Management Studio. That is, my aspnetdb and a "homebrew"
    database for other purposes. In my web.config, I have set up a
    connectionstring, and have defined a new provider that uses this
    connectionstring. Like this:

    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="aspnetConnectionString"
    connectionString="Server=.;database=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True;" />
    </connectionStrings>

    My provider is defined as follows:

    <membership defaultProvider="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" >
    <providers >
    <clear/>
    <add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
    connectionStringName="aspnetConnectionstring"
    enablePasswordRetrieval="true"
    enablePasswordReset="true"
    requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
    applicationName="/[APPLICATIONNAME-FRA-DIN-VELKOMST-EMAIL]"
    requiresUniqueEmail="false"
    passwordFormat="Clear"
    maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
    minRequiredPasswordLength="6"
    minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
    passwordAttemptWindow="10"
    passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""
    type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider,System.Web,
    Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    </providers>
    </membership>

    What I was hoping, was that this configuration would completely bypass the
    App_Data folder. On my dev machine, this seems to work, except that it DOES
    create the database files in App_Data - but it still uses my "original"
    aspnetdb database that is registered on the SQL Server (not Express).

    I coult live with that if it only worked on my production server - but it
    doesn't.

    So.... how do I use ONLY the registered database on my non-express SQL
    Server without ASP.Net creating App_Data folders (and contents) when I don't
    want or need it?

    Jeppe Jespersen
    Denmark
    Jeppe Jespersen, Jul 10, 2007

  2. Jeppe Jespersen

    sloan Guest

    I think what you're looking for is:

    <remove name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" />

    See
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Offic...15d9-4621-aa0b-9ce3f1c7153e1033.mspx?mfr=true

    or do some googling

    sloan, Jul 10, 2007

  3. Jeppe Jespersen

    sloan Guest

    Maybe that didn't help:

    Here is another link:
    http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/29256/1954?pf=true

    which talks about using Access.

    Of course you don't care about Using Access.
    You care about "not using the default".

    sloan, Jul 10, 2007
  4. Sloan,

    I'll check those out. Thank you.