Membership Provider deployment/App_Data directory just wont die!!! :-)

Jeppe Jespersen

I'm deploying a web app that uses the Membership API. Great stuff. Until
deployment :-(

On my development maching, i run everything from a database registered in
the SQL Server Management Studio. That is, my aspnetdb and a "homebrew"
database for other purposes. In my web.config, I have set up a
connectionstring, and have defined a new provider that uses this
connectionstring. Like this:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="aspnetConnectionString"
connectionString="Server=.;database=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True;" />
</connectionStrings>

My provider is defined as follows:

<membership defaultProvider="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider" >
<providers >
<clear/>
<add name="AspNetSqlMembershipProvider"
connectionStringName="aspnetConnectionstring"
enablePasswordRetrieval="true"
enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
applicationName="/[APPLICATIONNAME-FRA-DIN-VELKOMST-EMAIL]"
requiresUniqueEmail="false"
passwordFormat="Clear"
maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
minRequiredPasswordLength="6"
minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"
passwordAttemptWindow="10"
passwordStrengthRegularExpression=""
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider,System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
</providers>
</membership>

What I was hoping, was that this configuration would completely bypass the
App_Data folder. On my dev machine, this seems to work, except that it DOES
create the database files in App_Data - but it still uses my "original"
aspnetdb database that is registered on the SQL Server (not Express).

I coult live with that if it only worked on my production server - but it
doesn't.

So.... how do I use ONLY the registered database on my non-express SQL
Server without ASP.Net creating App_Data folders (and contents) when I don't
want or need it?

Jeppe Jespersen
Denmark

sloan

Maybe that didn't help:

Here is another link:
http://www.devx.com/asp/Article/29256/1954?pf=true

which talks about using Access.

Of course you don't care about Using Access.
You care about "not using the default".

sloan said:
I think what you're looking for is:

<remove name="AspNetSqlRoleProvider" />

See
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Offic...15d9-4621-aa0b-9ce3f1c7153e1033.mspx?mfr=true

or do some googling

Jeppe Jespersen said:
I'm deploying a web app that uses the Membership API. Great stuff. Until
deployment :-(

On my development maching, i run everything from a database registered in
the SQL Server Management Studio. That is, my aspnetdb and a "homebrew"
database for other purposes. In my web.config, I have set up a
connectionstring, and have defined a new provider that uses this
connectionstring. Like this:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="aspnetConnectionString"
connectionString="Server=.;database=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True;"
/>