Membership Provider Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Vishal Gupta, May 16, 2006.

  1. Vishal Gupta

    Vishal Gupta Guest

    Hi

    This is Vishal this side.I have been trying to create a new sample website
    using the new Membership Provider Class.

    Now when I try to a create a new website and then hit on the Website
    Administrator Tool and then hit on Security I get this error

    "There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an
    invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can
    also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the
    button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data
    store.

    The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect
    to SQL Server database. "

    Where do we specify the SQL Server Database details?

    I appreciate if you anyone help fix this issue.

    Regards,

    Vishal Gupta
    Vishal Gupta, May 16, 2006

  2. Please review the Membership documentation...

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yh26yfzy.aspx

    Specifically, you configure ASP.NET applications to use Membership in the
    <connectionstrings>, <providers> and <membership> elements in the application's web.config :

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6e9y4s5t.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 16, 2006

  3. Vishal Gupta

    Vishal Gupta Guest

    Thanks, it works by providing the connection string ,provider, membership
    entries in the web.config.I also had to manually install the aspnetdb
    through the aspnet_regsql utiltily.

    However, I still have a doubt in all the videos i saw on ASP.net Membership
    classes it works simply without providing any of these entries or any such
    settings.(http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/learning/learn/newtodevelopment/)
    Is there some settings at the time installation or any rights which we need
    to take care.
    Please let me know if you have clues.

    Vishal

    Vishal Gupta, May 16, 2006
  4. Vishal Gupta

    Vishal Gupta Guest

    I tried the same thing (installing VS2005) on Windows 2003 x64 bit OS and
    when i create a new website and hit on Website Adminstration Tool (WSAT)
    and ther after hit on Security tab, everything works perfect and i am able
    to create users/roles....
    I wanted to know why is not working on my local system. It is Windows XP
    with a network domain account.
    Does the WSAT tool require some adminsitrative privileges to run or what ??

    Please help...................

    Vishal Gupta, May 16, 2006
  5. Did you install SQL Server 2005 Express locally ?
    The default installation requires SQL Server 2005 Express.

    You have to do some customization if you want to run Membership against other databases.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 16, 2006
  6. Vishal Gupta

    Vishal Gupta Guest

    Yes i have SQL Sever 2005 on my local machine.The only point to note is that
    earlier both SQL2000 and SQL2005 was installed with 2000 been the default
    instance.But now i have removed 2000 from my machine.

    Enclosed is the SQL Server detail

    Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.1399.00
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00
    (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42
    Operating System 5.1.2600

    Vishal Gupta, May 16, 2006