Membership Provider Error

Vishal Gupta

Hi

This is Vishal this side.I have been trying to create a new sample website
using the new Membership Provider Class.

Now when I try to a create a new website and then hit on the Website
Administrator Tool and then hit on Security I get this error

"There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an
invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can
also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the
button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data
store.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect
to SQL Server database. "

Where do we specify the SQL Server Database details?

I appreciate if you anyone help fix this issue.

Regards,

Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Thanks, it works by providing the connection string ,provider, membership
entries in the web.config.I also had to manually install the aspnetdb
through the aspnet_regsql utiltily.

However, I still have a doubt in all the videos i saw on ASP.net Membership
classes it works simply without providing any of these entries or any such
settings.(http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/learning/learn/newtodevelopment/)
Is there some settings at the time installation or any rights which we need
to take care.
Please let me know if you have clues.

Vishal

Vishal Gupta

I tried the same thing (installing VS2005) on Windows 2003 x64 bit OS and
when i create a new website and hit on Website Adminstration Tool (WSAT)
and ther after hit on Security tab, everything works perfect and i am able
to create users/roles....
I wanted to know why is not working on my local system. It is Windows XP
with a network domain account.
Does the WSAT tool require some adminsitrative privileges to run or what ??

Please help...................

Juan T. Llibre

Did you install SQL Server 2005 Express locally ?
The default installation requires SQL Server 2005 Express.

You have to do some customization if you want to run Membership against other databases.

Vishal Gupta

Yes i have SQL Sever 2005 on my local machine.The only point to note is that
earlier both SQL2000 and SQL2005 was installed with 2000 been the default
instance.But now i have removed 2000 from my machine.

Enclosed is the SQL Server detail

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 9.00.1399.00
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2005.090.1399.00
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2000.085.1117.00
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Microsoft MSXML 2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.42
Operating System 5.1.2600