    Do I need to used the membershiop/roles thing, or profiles?

    Are profiles part of the membership thing, or how are they tied together?
    Thanks

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 24, 2006

  2. The Membership provider is like an authentication table, you provide
    credentials and you get authentication because you are "a member".
    Profile is more for storage of ancillary data - your address, phone, email,
    site preferences etc. They can work together.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Oct 24, 2006

  3. JP.Gantlin

    Siva M Guest

    Membership and Profile are used for authentication and user-specific data
    storage respectively. As you know ASP.NET 2.0 provides separate API to deal
    with these two.

    For you case, I guess you have to use both Membership and Profile.

    Here is a good example on Membership (and Roles too) and Profile in ASP.NET
    2.0: http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/120705-1.aspx

    Siva M, Oct 24, 2006
  4. JP.Gantlin

    JP.Gantlin Guest

    thanks to both of you

    JP.Gantlin, Oct 24, 2006
  5. JP.Gantlin

    clintonG Guest

    We can use Membership without Roles or Profiles.
    We cannot use Roles or Profiles without Membership.
    We can use Roles without Profiles.
    We can use Profiles without Roles.

    Membership and Role data store respective data in separate tables and
    separate columns. Profile data is stored in a separate table but stuffs all
    the profile data for each member into a single column of delineated data
    which is difficult to query and get at and can also become an impact on
    performance.

    There's some kind of methodology to use Profiles so the profile data is also
    stored in separate tables and separate columns which can then be indexed and
    queried more efficiently but I do not know the name of the process or how to
    use it.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
    MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

    clintonG, Oct 24, 2006
  6. JP.Gantlin

    clintonG Guest

    One correction;

    // strike "or Profiles"
    We cannot use Roles or Profiles without Membership.
    // add
    We can use Profiles for anonymous users without Membership.

    <%= Clinton Gallagher

    clintonG, Oct 25, 2006