MembershipProvider/RoleProvider Problems

Mark Olbert

I've written a custom MembershipProvider and a custom RoleProvider, and am trying to get them to work with the ASP.NET Configuration
tool. Which is a royal pain in the butt, because there doesn't appear to be any way to debug the Configuration tool.

In any event, when I create a new user I get the following error message:

An error was encountered. Please return to the previous page and try again.

The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Specified cast is not valid. at
System.Web.Administration.WebAdminPage.CallWebAdminHelperMethod(Boolean isMembership, String methodName, Object[] parameters, Type[]
paramTypes) at ASP.security_users_adduser_aspx.UpdateRoleMembership(String u, CheckBox box) in
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles\Security\Users\addUser.aspx:line 63 at
ASP.security_users_adduser_aspx.UpdateRoleMembership(String u) in
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles\Security\Users\addUser.aspx:line 52 at
ASP.security_users_adduser_aspx.CreatedUser(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles\Security\Users\addUser.aspx:line 13 at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnCreatedUser(EventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.AttemptCreateUser() at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnNextButtonClick(WizardNavigationEventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.CreateUserWizard.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Wizard.WizardChildTable.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) at
System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs
e) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) at
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) at
System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean

I'm using a SqlServer database to store the membership info, and the new user's record shows up even though this crash occurred.
However, the assigned role was not set...which leads me to believe there's a problem with some part of the role-setting mechanism.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to narrow down where the problem is taking place? Is there a way to attach to the ASP.NET
Configuration tool so I can see the exception take place? I tried attaching to its process, but that didn't work.

- Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

I've also noticed your another two threads in this newsgroup about
developing the custom membership provider. From the call stack you provided
there, seems you've managed to have the custom provider loaded but
encounter some new problem during using them , yes?

As another MVP has mentioned in your other thread, you can manually attach
to the web admin application's process through VS IDE to debug the problem,
you can set bread point at your provider's source code.... And I think
you can also directly use some login controls in asp.net application's page
to test the provider or call methods on your custom membership provider to
test them.... e.g if the exception occur when you try add a new user or
role, you can set bread point in the related method in your provider to
debug them.... For web admin web app, it is hosted in the .net
framework's build-in webserver (WebDev.WebServer.exe under the framework's
folder....)

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support