    profile and all the related web cotnrols like SqlDataSource? I guess
    SqlDataSource is not necssary as I won't use it anyway.

    Any suggestions on this will be helpful. thanks.
    Liming, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Liming

    john smith Guest

    Liming wrote:
    > Hello, I'm a newbie to .NET 2.0 framework from Java, so please bear
    > with me.
    >
    > Is there a way to do a generic Provider model or if anyone knows a
    > product out there that does this? I know .NET says all you have to do
    > is implement a different provider, but that is some hard work man, who
    > gotta the time to implement a whole new provider???
    >
    > If not, is there a mysql/postgrsql provider for Membership,role,
    > profile and all the related web cotnrols like SqlDataSource? I guess
    > SqlDataSource is not necssary as I won't use it anyway.
    >
    > Any suggestions on this will be helpful. thanks.

    You make it sound like it's very hard work. The .Net FW SDK has sample
    code, and you can find more online. There are a few resources worth
    looking into, like this one - another GREAT article by Mr Bromberg -
    with loads of infos: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20051119.asp
    It has providers for SQLite, a link to a MySQL provider on codeproject,
    etc. From all that good stuff, you could probably write your own
    PostgreSQL provider in no time at all. I've been considering doing it
    for a while as it's a great DB. I'd rather take the time it takes to
    write a new provider for a good DB (that will be used a lot) than using
    anything MySQL related.
    john smith, Jan 7, 2006