Memebership, Role, Profile Provider

Liming

Hello, I'm a newbie to .NET 2.0 framework from Java, so please bear
with me.

Is there a way to do a generic Provider model or if anyone knows a
product out there that does this? I know .NET says all you have to do
is implement a different provider, but that is some hard work man, who
gotta the time to implement a whole new provider???

If not, is there a mysql/postgrsql provider for Membership,role,
profile and all the related web cotnrols like SqlDataSource? I guess
SqlDataSource is not necssary as I won't use it anyway.

Any suggestions on this will be helpful. thanks.

john smith

Liming said:
Hello, I'm a newbie to .NET 2.0 framework from Java, so please bear
with me.

Is there a way to do a generic Provider model or if anyone knows a
product out there that does this? I know .NET says all you have to do
is implement a different provider, but that is some hard work man, who
gotta the time to implement a whole new provider???

If not, is there a mysql/postgrsql provider for Membership,role,
profile and all the related web cotnrols like SqlDataSource? I guess
SqlDataSource is not necssary as I won't use it anyway.

Any suggestions on this will be helpful. thanks.

You make it sound like it's very hard work. The .Net FW SDK has sample
code, and you can find more online. There are a few resources worth
looking into, like this one - another GREAT article by Mr Bromberg -
with loads of infos: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20051119.asp
It has providers for SQLite, a link to a MySQL provider on codeproject,
etc. From all that good stuff, you could probably write your own
PostgreSQL provider in no time at all. I've been considering doing it
for a while as it's a great DB. I'd rather take the time it takes to
write a new provider for a good DB (that will be used a lot) than using
anything MySQL related.