Memory consumption in XSL Transformation

Discussion in 'XML' started by Edouard Mercier, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. Hi to all;

    I would like to have the confirmation on an intuition. I'm working on
    a XSL that takes an XML file which contains about 30.000 XML elements
    (let's call them A elements), each element defining an URI to an XML
    file.

    In my XSL, I read A-element by A-element, read the URI it contains,
    and then analyze the XML file corresponding to the URI via the
    'document()' XPath directive (let's name it the B document). This
    B-document analyzis is basic and I do not use the B-document anymore,
    once the A-element iteration is over.

    I hope that I was clear enough...

    My XSLT implementations are Saxon V6.X, Instant Saxon V6.X, and Xalan
    V2.5: in all those implementations, the RAM consumption when running
    the transformation is increasing that much that I run out of memory
    after an about 10.000 A-elements handling.

    What I guess, in that the read XML stuff via the 'document()' is never
    freed by the transformer? Am i right?

    How can I do in order to "prompt/force" the transformer to garbage the
    read intermediate B-documents?

    Thank you very much for your attention.

    Regards,

    Edouard

    Edouard Mercier, Sep 12, 2003

  2. My guess was right: it seems that whenever you use the 'document()'
    directive, the memory used for the parsing is never recovered later
    on. Am I right ?

    Do you know a way of garbaging this memory? Your help is much
    appreciated.

    Regards,

    Edouard

    Edouard Mercier, Sep 15, 2003