    question is equipped with 256mb RAM, so it doesn't take more than eight
    Apache instances to bring it to its knees.

    / David
    David Heinemeier Hansson, Sep 9, 2003

  2. David Heinemeier Hansson

    mgarriss Guest

    David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:

    > I'm seeing memory consumption in the area of 30-35mb per Apache
    > process running mod_ruby with a fairly smallish web-app. I appreciate
    > that it's hard to generalize about this stuff, but is that normal? Is
    > there any obvious steps I can take to reduce the footprint? The server
    > in question is equipped with 256mb RAM, so it doesn't take more than
    > eight Apache instances to bring it to its knees.
    >
    > / David

    I get about 8-10mb per process. I took no special steps. Anything
    unusual about your setup? It doesn't take a lot of lines of code to use
    a lot of ram. Maybe check over what you are doing in the code...

    mod_ruby-1.0.6
    httpd-2.0.47
    ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]

    Michael
    mgarriss, Sep 9, 2003

  3. David Heinemeier Hansson

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 10:35, mgarriss wrote:
    > David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
    >
    > > I'm seeing memory consumption in the area of 30-35mb per Apache
    > > process running mod_ruby with a fairly smallish web-app. I appreciate
    > > that it's hard to generalize about this stuff, but is that normal? Is
    > > there any obvious steps I can take to reduce the footprint? The server
    > > in question is equipped with 256mb RAM, so it doesn't take more than
    > > eight Apache instances to bring it to its knees.
    > >
    > > / David

    > I get about 8-10mb per process. I took no special steps. Anything
    > unusual about your setup? It doesn't take a lot of lines of code to use
    > a lot of ram. Maybe check over what you are doing in the code...

    Also, what other modules are you loading? Are there some that you can
    remove?

    Yours,

    Tom
    Tom Copeland, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Maybe some of the memory is shared, that means it is allocated by the
    mother process and only used for reading? Think of required modules.

    --
    Fritz Heinrichmeyer FernUniversitaet, LG ES, 58084 Hagen (Germany)
    tel:+49 2331/987-1166 fax:987-355
    Fritz Heinrichmeyer, Sep 10, 2003