Memory consumption of Ruby/mod_ruby combo on Apache

David Heinemeier Hansson

I'm seeing memory consumption in the area of 30-35mb per Apache process
running mod_ruby with a fairly smallish web-app. I appreciate that it's
hard to generalize about this stuff, but is that normal? Is there any
obvious steps I can take to reduce the footprint? The server in
question is equipped with 256mb RAM, so it doesn't take more than eight
Apache instances to bring it to its knees.

/ David

mgarriss

David said:
I'm seeing memory consumption in the area of 30-35mb per Apache
process running mod_ruby with a fairly smallish web-app. I appreciate
that it's hard to generalize about this stuff, but is that normal? Is
there any obvious steps I can take to reduce the footprint? The server
in question is equipped with 256mb RAM, so it doesn't take more than
eight Apache instances to bring it to its knees.

/ David

I get about 8-10mb per process. I took no special steps. Anything
unusual about your setup? It doesn't take a lot of lines of code to use
a lot of ram. Maybe check over what you are doing in the code...

mod_ruby-1.0.6
httpd-2.0.47
ruby 1.8.0 (2003-08-04) [i686-linux]

Michael

Tom Copeland

I get about 8-10mb per process. I took no special steps. Anything
unusual about your setup? It doesn't take a lot of lines of code to use
a lot of ram. Maybe check over what you are doing in the code...

Also, what other modules are you loading? Are there some that you can
remove?

Yours,

Tom

Fritz Heinrichmeyer

Maybe some of the memory is shared, that means it is allocated by the
mother process and only used for reading? Think of required modules.