Memory Layout of a Object

mailursubbu

Hi,

Can you please refer me the book (or link) which I should refer to for
memory layout of a object in c++. How the virtual table is used and
other such details i am interested to know.
If some one has writen article or paper on internals of c++ it will be
of great use for me.

Best Regards,
Subra

mlimber

Can you please refer me the book (or link) which I should refer to for
memory layout of a object in c++. How the virtual table is used and
other such details i am interested to know.
If some one has writen article or paper on internals of c++ it will be
of great use for me.

As the FAQ for this group describes at
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/virtual-functions.html#faq-20.4,
this sort of thing is mostly compiler-dependent, and the C++ Standard
leaves layout and such somewhat open so compiler writers can do the
best thing for their target platforms.

Cheers! --M

Victor Bazarov

Can you please refer me the book (or link) which I should refer to for
memory layout of a object in c++. How the virtual table is used and
other such details i am interested to know.
If some one has writen article or paper on internals of c++ it will be
of great use for me.

Stanley Lippman, "Inside the C++ Object Model"

Marcus Kwok

Can you please refer me the book (or link) which I should refer to for
memory layout of a object in c++. How the virtual table is used and
other such details i am interested to know.
If some one has writen article or paper on internals of c++ it will be
of great use for me.

I have not personally read it but "Inside the C++ Object Model" by
Stanley Lippman is one that I have heard good things about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0201834545/103-0965237-0747837