Memory leak/gc.get_objects()/Improved gc in version 2.5

crazy420fingers

I'm running a python program that simulates a wireless network
protocol for a certain number of "frames" (measure of time). I've
observed the following:

1. The memory consumption of the program grows as the number of frames
I simulate increases.

To verify this, I've used two methods, which I invoke after every
frame simulated:

-- Parsing the /proc/<pid>/status file as in:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/286222
-- Using ps vg | grep python | awk '!/grep/ {print " ",$8}' in an
os.system() call.

The memory usage vs. frame number graph shows some big "jumps" at
certain points, and, after a large number of frames, shows a steady
upward slope

2. I think I've verified that the objects I instantiate are actually
freed-- I'm therefore assuming that this "leak" is "caused" by
python's garbage collection mechanism. I count the number of objects I
generate that are being tracked by gc as follows:

gc.collect()
objCount = {}
objList = gc.get_objects()
for obj in objList:
if getattr(obj, "__class__", None):
name = obj.__class__.__name__
if objCount.has_key(name):
objCount[name] += 1
else:
objCount[name] = 1

for name in objCount:
print name, " :", objCount[name]

del objList

Running this snippet every hundred frames or so, shows that the number
of objects managed by gc is not growing.

I upgraded to Python 2.5. in an attempt to solve this problem. The
only change in my observations from version 2.4 is that the absolute
memory usage level seems to have dropped. However, I still see the
jumps in memory usage at the same points in time.

Can anybody explain why the memory usage shows significant jumps (~200
kB or ~500 kb) over time (i.e. "frames") even though there is no
apparent increase in the objects managed by gc? Note that I'm calling
gc.collect() regularly.

Thanks for your attention,

Arvind

Terry Reedy

Questions like this about memory consumption should start with the
information printed by the interactive interpreter on startup and
additional info about whether the binary is from stock CPython or has 3rd
party modules compiled in. The latter are typically the source of real
problems.

Chris Mellon

I'm running a python program that simulates a wireless network
protocol for a certain number of "frames" (measure of time). I've
observed the following:

1. The memory consumption of the program grows as the number of frames
I simulate increases.

To verify this, I've used two methods, which I invoke after every
frame simulated:

-- Parsing the /proc/<pid>/status file as in:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/286222
-- Using ps vg | grep python | awk '!/grep/ {print " ",$8}' in an
os.system() call.

The memory usage vs. frame number graph shows some big "jumps" at
certain points, and, after a large number of frames, shows a steady
upward slope

This would be expected if you're creating ever-larger amounts of
objects - python uses memory pools and as the number of simultaneous
objects increases, the size of the pool will need to increase. This
isn't expected if the total number of objects you create is pretty
much static, but the way you're trying to determine that is flawed
(see below).
[...]

You're misunderstanding the purpose of Pythons GC. Python is
refcounted. The GC exists only to find and break reference cycles. If
you don't have ref cycles, the GC doesn't do anything and you could
just turn it off.

gc.get_objects() is a snapshot of the currently existing objects, and
won't give you any information about peak object count, which is the
most direct correlation to total memory use.

arvind

[...]

Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

To answer the earlier question, I used CPython 2.4.3 and ActivePython
2.5.1 in my analysis above. No custom modules added. Interpreter
banners are at the end of this message.

In my program, I do keep instantiating new objects every "frame".
However, these objects are no longer needed after a few frames, and
the program no longer maintains a reference to old objects. Therefore,
I expect the reference-counting mechanism built into python (whatever
it is, if not gc) to free memory used by these objects and return it
to the "pool" from which they were allocated. Further, I would expect
that in time, entire pools would become free, and these free pools
should be reused for new objects. Therefore the total number of pools
allocated (and therefore "arenas"?) should not grow over time, if
pools are being correctly reclaimed. Is this not expected behavior?

Also, since I sample gc.get_objects() frequently, I would expect that
I would stumble upon a "peak" memory usage snapshot, or at the very
least see a good bit of variation in the output. However, this does
not occur.

Finally, if I deliberately hold on to references to old objects,
gc.get_objects() clearly shows an increasing number of objects being
tracked in each snapshot, and the memory leak is well explained.

Python version info:

ActivePython 2.5.1.1 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, May 2 2007, 08:46:07)
[GCC 3.3.4 (pre 3.3.5 20040809)] on linux2

AND

Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 14 2007, 19:01:42)

Arvind