    TIA,

    Joe

    , Mar 22, 2005

  2. John Bokma Guest

    wrote:

    > I have an application written in Perl/tk that will write a small file
    > (~128 bytes) to disk. At random intervals, the application is unable
    > to write ti the disk. No error message is given, the write file is
    > executed but the trap 'or die...' is not. The OS is RedHat 7.2.
    >
    > I have checked the amount of disk space (~85% in use of a 40GB HDD)
    > and this tells me that it isn't a disk spave issue.

    Did you check when the program was running?

    > If I shutdown and let
    > the server sit for about 20 minutes,

    Why? To let it cool down? And a shutdown... that sounds like overkill to
    me.

    > then boot it back up, the system
    > will allow files to be written to disk once again.

    Programs in general or your script?

    How much space does it require?

    > A couple of possible
    > explanations have come up:
    > 1 - The OS is runnung out of file handles.
    > 2 - There is a (possible) memory in perl 5.8.x

    I think you can remove 2 off that list. If you suspect this, create the
    smallest possible script that gives the same problems and post it. But
    my best guess is: it's not a memory leaking problem *in* perl. In your
    script: maybe, yes.

    You can try to create a file (or files) which use rougly the same amount
    of disk space. Does that work?

    John Bokma, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Sisyphus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have an application written in Perl/tk that will write a small file
    > (~128 bytes) to disk. At random intervals, the application is unable to
    > write ti the disk. No error message is given, the write file is
    > executed but the trap 'or die...' is not. The OS is RedHat 7.2.

    I assume you mean that you can successfully open() the filehandle to the
    file for witing.
    Are you checking that the close() of the filehandle is also successful ?

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Mar 23, 2005