Memory leak in ASP with ADOMD

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Charlotte, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. Charlotte

    Charlotte Guest

    Hello,

    We are doing a stability test on our application to prepare for Microsoft
    SQL Server 2000 certification, and we found a memory leak, but we cannot find
    its source and fix it.
    We use an ASP page written in JScript that connects to Analysis Services
    2000 using ADOMD and retrieves data from it (this is a very simplified
    version of our real application that we created just to test the memory
    leak), see the code below.

    We are using Microsoft Application Center Test to run this page, and
    Performance Monitor to monitor the Memory/Committed Bytes and Processor usage
    of our web server. The Memory/Committed counter slowly increases over time,
    which indicates a memory leak, right? The Private Bytes for the InetInfo
    process remain stable.

    Our setup is a web server running Windows 2000 and Analysis Services on a
    different server running Windows 2000. The application Center Test is running
    from another computer. We also tried using a web server running Windows XP
    Pro instead of Win2000, with similar results.

    Using PerfMon, we monitor the number of Analysis Services connections, and
    this number remains stable, so the memory leak doesn't seem to be due to an
    ever increasing number of AS open connections.

    The code is very simple, yet we don't know what causes the problem.
    Any help on trying to find and fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Charlotte

    Here is the code of the ASP page:

    <%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT"%>
    <%
    try {
    var connString = "Data Source=athlon900;Provider=MSOLAP.2;Initial
    Catalog=Foodmart 2000";
    var cat = Server.CreateObject("ADOMD.Catalog");
    cat.ActiveConnection = connString;

    var cst = Server.CreateObject("ADOMD.CellSet");
    cst.Source = "select { [Product].[All Products].Children, [Product].[All
    Products] } on columns, { [Store].[All Stores].Children, [Store].[All
    Stores] } on rows from Warehouse where ( [Measures].[Warehouse Sales],
    [Time].[1998] )";
    cst.ActiveConnection = cat.ActiveConnection;
    cst.Open();

    var rowCount = cst.Axes(1).Positions.Count;
    var colCount = cst.Axes(0).Positions.Count;

    Response.Write("<p>Query results: rowCount = " + rowCount + "; colCount = "
    + colCount + "</p>");

    if (cst != null && cst.State != 0) cst.Close();
    cat = null;
    cst = null;
    } catch(e) {
    Response.Write("Error on the page: " + e.message);
    }
    %>

    Charlotte, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Charlotte wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We are doing a stability test on our application to prepare for
    > Microsoft SQL Server 2000 certification, and we found a memory leak,
    > but we cannot find its source and fix it.
    > We use an ASP page written in JScript that connects to Analysis
    > Services 2000 using ADOMD and retrieves data from it (this is a very
    > simplified version of our real application that we created just to
    > test the memory leak), see the code below.

    <snip>
    Nothing jumps out at me. I suspect you will need to involve MS Product
    Support in this issue.
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 18, 2006