    Does anyone know of good workarounds other than pestering users to switch to
    Sun's Java? Most of our users are constrained by their IT departments to
    keep to one JVM or another.

    Mickey Segal, Nov 30, 2005

  2. Mickey Segal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:19:03 -0500, "Mickey Segal"
    who said :

    >Does anyone know of good workarounds other than pestering users to switch to
    >Sun's Java? Most of our users are constrained by their IT departments to
    >keep to one JVM or another.

    the discontinued MS JVM is 10 year old technology. It is utterly
    ridiculous it is still holding back Java. That is a century in
    computer years.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 30, 2005

  3. Mickey Segal

    Chris Smith Guest

    Mickey Segal <> wrote:
    > The applet and source code at www.segal.org/java/leak2/ illustrate a memory
    > leak in the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine.

    So?

    > Does anyone know of good workarounds other than pestering users to switch to
    > Sun's Java? Most of our users are constrained by their IT departments to
    > keep to one JVM or another.

    If your users are forced to retain a Java VM that has been EOL for years
    and for which Microsoft is no longer even maintaining basic security
    fixes, then the ONLY sensible decision is for you to stop providing them
    with software in Java. Perhaps you could manage a JavaScript client, or
    Flash, or even an ActiveX plugin. Absolutely anything would be better
    than an EOL Microsoft JVM.

    When you talk to their IT department to decide what other technologies
    are acceptable, make sure to mention the situation with the Microsoft
    JVM, and strongly suggest embarking on an effort to remove that
    dangerous piece of code from any systems where it remains. If you can
    convince them to install the Sun JVM at the same time or allow users to
    do so, then that makes your life easier as well.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote in
    message news:p...
    > the discontinued MS JVM is 10 year old technology. It is utterly
    > ridiculous it is still holding back Java. That is a century in
    > computer years.

    Is someone keeping statistics on use of Sun vs. Microsoft JVMs for applets
    on the Web? We have not been collecting data systematically, but my guess
    from spot determinations is that the usage is close to half-half, with the
    Microsoft JVM falling pretty rapidly in the past year but still seen
    commonly in the wild.

    Even though the last significant update of the Microsoft JVM that I remember
    was in 1998, it still remains faster at GUI display than the Sun JVM. One
    can see this speed difference in various test applets (to be even-handed I
    chose applets prepared for bug reports in three different environments):

    1. Microsoft bug: the test applet discussed in this thread
    (www.segal.org/java/leak2/; despite the memory leak)

    2. Sun bug: the test applet for a Sun HotSpot crash thread
    (www.segal.org/java/sun_jit/)

    3. Macintosh problem: test applet for slow GUI display on Macintosh, even
    slower than Sun (www.segal.org/java/CanvasTable3/).

    One striking difference between Microsoft and Sun JVMs is that the Microsoft
    JVM does not display intermediate views - it seems to wait until the GUI
    operations are complete and then displays the end result. Is there some way
    to coax the Sun JVM into doing the same thing? It produces a display with
    less jiggling around of components and may explain some of the better GUI
    speed of the antique Microsoft JVM.

    Mickey Segal, Dec 1, 2005