Memory leak? Private Bytes/Virtual Bytes

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ronald, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Hi!

    As I ran in to errors like "Ran out of memory" and "Out of memory" I
    supposed my website might have memoryleaks. To trace a potential memory leak
    I isolated the IIS process and monitored the 'Virtual Bytes' and 'Private
    Bytes' for a while.

    I noticed the private bytes stays 'low' all the time. Sometimes a bit up,
    sometimes a bit down. Virtual bytes also follows the same pattern for most
    times. But, sometimes it increases to almost 2gb en stays there.

    I've been reading for memory leaks an aggressive caching and stuff and was
    wondering when there is a memory leak. In short: what does it mean thet the
    amount of virtual bytes stays high? Is this probably due to caching or....?

    regards,

    Ronald
    Ronald, Mar 7, 2005

  2. Ronald

    Pat [MSFT] Guest

    What you are describing is memory fragmentation; it is commonly caused by
    small memory leaks. What OS are you running?

    Pat [MSFT], Mar 8, 2005

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    Windows 2000 Advanced Server with latest updates.

    I noticed the problem occurs at 'some' point at once. For days de virtual
    bytes remains below 100mb and then suddenly it hits 2gb. So it seems this is
    not caused by a 'small' memory leak.

    What (except redim in loops) cause memoryfragmentation?

    regards,

    Ronald

    Ronald, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Ronald

    Pat [MSFT] Guest

    From your description below, you probably have a loop that results in a
    large amount of allocated memory (i.e. one heap gets extended to eat up the
    rest of the VM), and then a different heap (IIS/DLLHost may have 30+ heaps)
    needs to extend but can't so even though you aren't technically fragmented,
    you are out of VM space so the extension fails.

    Pat

    Pat [MSFT], Mar 9, 2005