Memory limitation for Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Markus Mohr, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Markus Mohr

    Markus Mohr Guest

    Hello,

    I have built a Perl/Tk-based program in a client-server-interacting
    mode which is composed of about 15 separate modules.
    For one special task, the parsing of a XML string containing an image
    object in its CDATA section, I want to limit the usable memory to a
    certain amount. This is necessary since otherwise the process takes as
    much memory as possible and could lead to system breakdowns.

    Is there a method do realize such a memory usage limitation?

    And if so, does it have to be integrated in the XML parsing process,
    or can I sort of integrate this statement in my main *.pl file?

    Hope I made everything clear enough.

    Sincerely

    Markus Mohr
    Markus Mohr, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Markus Mohr

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Markus Mohr <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have built a Perl/Tk-based program in a client-server-interacting
    > mode which is composed of about 15 separate modules.
    > For one special task, the parsing of a XML string containing an image
    > object in its CDATA section, I want to limit the usable memory to a
    > certain amount. This is necessary since otherwise the process takes as
    > much memory as possible and could lead to system breakdowns.
    >
    > Is there a method do realize such a memory usage limitation?

    Not in Perl, but perhaps in your OS. Under Unix, type "man ulimit"
    and see what it says.

    > And if so, does it have to be integrated in the XML parsing process,
    > or can I sort of integrate this statement in my main *.pl file?

    Ulimit restricts the resources for an entire process.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Markus Mohr

    Markus Mohr Guest

    On 17 Jun 2004 11:47:33 GMT, -berlin.de (Anno
    Siegel) wrote:

    >Markus Mohr <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have built a Perl/Tk-based program in a client-server-interacting
    >> mode which is composed of about 15 separate modules.
    >> For one special task, the parsing of a XML string containing an image
    >> object in its CDATA section, I want to limit the usable memory to a
    >> certain amount. This is necessary since otherwise the process takes as
    >> much memory as possible and could lead to system breakdowns.
    >>
    >> Is there a method do realize such a memory usage limitation?

    >Not in Perl, but perhaps in your OS. Under Unix, type "man ulimit"
    >and see what it says.

    Thank you, I know that about Linux, but I have to compile it under
    Windows, and therefore it should be integral part of the code.

    Sincerely

    Markus Mohr
    Markus Mohr, Jun 17, 2004