    that need to be modeled for new ASIC , MICRO and FPGA based systems.

    Thanks in advance

    EC

    RealInfo, Apr 14, 2009

  2. RealInfo

    beckjer Guest

    On Apr 13, 11:01 pm, "RealInfo" <> wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am new to VHDL and I am looking for an  expertise direction.
    >
    > Lately I came to conclusion that I want to focus on memories modeling from
    > all kinds , SRAM , ROM, FLASH etc.
    >
    > My question is : Is it realistic to focus on memories modeling , is there a
    > market for such expertise.
    >
    > I ask this because there are many free online models of memories but in the
    > other hand , there are many many memories and memories stacks
    > that need to be modeled for new  ASIC , MICRO and FPGA based systems.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > EC

    Having come from the memory industry (Lexar/Micron), I can say that
    there are a few areas of interest - which can also be valuable outside
    the memory world. Memory is a commodity product, it will always be
    needed - but it won't be as "glamorous" as the latest AMD/Intel chip.

    The first is error detection/correction. It is amazing how few people
    actually understand this topic properly when determining how many bits
    it requires for complete failure.

    The second is interface. Memory is all about how fast can you get
    data without corruption (there are few applications, that require long
    term persistence over speed - Library of Congress being one). I put
    in here the decision of how large a block of memory you need to
    address at a time (2Kb vs 512b makes a big difference in performance
    when updating a FAT)

    These two are fairly universal in most projects, IMHO. It all boils
    down to what is the best way to get data? (Pick your definition of
    best)

    Memory tends to be driven by how people want to access it. The end
    result almost never is a perfect fit for any market, but very darn
    close to several high volume markets.

    Of course this was based on my interests, there are other specialties
    within the memory world.

    beckjer, Apr 14, 2009

  3. RealInfo

    HT-Lab Guest

    "RealInfo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > I am new to VHDL and I am looking for an expertise direction.
    >
    > Lately I came to conclusion that I want to focus on memories modelling
    > from all kinds , SRAM , ROM, FLASH etc.

    I am sure the VHDL community will appreciate VHDL models of popular Micron
    SDRAM/DDR devices. <nice_words_on> It is such a shame Micron only cares
    about Verilog users </nice_words_on>.

    > My question is : Is it realistic to focus on memories modeling , is there
    > a market for such expertise.

    Virtual prototyping is growing area and if you look at companies like Denali
    there is definitely a market for them.

    > I ask this because there are many free online models of memories but in
    > the other hand , there are many many memories and memories stacks
    > that need to be modeled for new ASIC , MICRO and FPGA based systems.

    There are lots of models but never the one you want ;-)

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com

    HT-Lab, Apr 14, 2009
  4. RealInfo

    JimLewis Guest

    Hi,
    > I ask this because there are many free online models of memories but in the
    > other hand , there are many many memories and memories stacks
    > that need to be modeled for new  ASIC , MICRO and FPGA based systems.

    If you want to add value to what is there, you might want to focus
    on filling in any gaps. One site I find quite useful is the GPL'ed
    memory models at:
    http://www.freemodelfoundry.com/fmf_VHDL_models.html

    If you are charging for the models, you would want to at least have
    the performance of the FMF models.

    Cheers,
    Jim

    JimLewis, Apr 15, 2009
  5. RealInfo

    RealInfo Guest

    Do I have to use VITAL in memory modeling ?
    I ask this because I have seen many memory models in VHDL books that use the
    standard time generics of VHDL .

    Thanks
    EC

    "JimLewis" <> ???