Memory Organization

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Just D., Jul 5, 2007.

  1. Just D.

    Just D. Guest

    I see in many Internet sources that all 32-bit systems are having
    limitations and can't address above 2 GB limit for the user application
    reserving 2 GB more for the system. There are some tricks to expand the user
    space like this:

    http://blogs.technet.com/marcelofartura/archive/2006/09/14/3gb-pae-awe-what-basic.aspx

    and this:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/pae_os.mspx

    There are other articles like this:

    http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/03/overcoming_the_windows_2gb_cac.html

    telling that this 2 GB limit is per application and each application can use
    2 GB is started in a separate application process.

    Well, what about .NET applications? If we wrote the ASPX web application and
    the same application can be started from different Virtual Directories on
    the same Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Some of these Virtual Directories are
    configured to be started in a Isolated Mode. What's happening in this case?
    All these apps are .NET 1.1 applications. Does that mean that .NET using by
    each application is using its separate .NET instance in memory with the
    appropriate address space? Or .NET is the only one instance in the system
    and all NET apps are dependent and use only one address space? I guess I
    don't understand something.

    The server is configured to use /PAE. We also tried /3GB. The RAM is not an
    issue, it's more than enough. But anyway we're getting some troubles getting
    System.OutOfMemory exception. The Task Manager shows that aspnet_wp.exe
    takes 700-800 MB, not higher. Is there some other limit that we're not aware
    about? Yes, the app uses RAM to store the user's data, it works with the
    database via ADO.NET. MS SQL Server 2000 is isolated.

    What else can be done to avoid this System.OutOfMemory exception except
    migrating to Win64 system?

    Just D.

    Just D., Jul 5, 2007

  2. Just D.

    bruce barker Guest

    with win2000 and asp.net 1.1 there is one worker processes running all
    asp.net applications. if you upgrade to 2003 & asp.net 2.0, you can have
    a worker process (pool) for each application.

    if you run 2000/asp.net with the /3gb switch, you must also update the
    machine config to use the extra memory. be sure sure to get all service
    packs. you should dedicate the machine to asp.net and not run anything
    else, or the OS may run out of memory (it still needs to alloc page
    descripters for all allocated pages).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Just D.

    Just D. Guest

    "bruce barker"
    > with win2000 and asp.net 1.1 there is one worker processes running all
    > asp.net applications. if you upgrade to 2003 & asp.net 2.0, you can have a
    > worker process (pool) for each application.
    >
    > if you run 2000/asp.net with the /3gb switch, you must also update the
    > machine config to use the extra memory. be sure sure to get all service
    > packs. you should dedicate the machine to asp.net and not run anything
    > else, or the OS may run out of memory (it still needs to alloc page
    > descripters for all allocated pages).

    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce,

    Thanks for your answer.

    Yes, we're using 32-bit Windows 2000 Advanced Server with all service packs
    installed. I guess there is a big difference between just Win2000 and
    Win2000 Advanced Server, but maybe I'm wrong. Could you confirm please that
    there is one worker process running all .NET 1.1 applications including Web
    Services and Web Apps? Maybe you know some web links to read about this
    particular case?

    Just D.

    Just D., Jul 5, 2007
  4. Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 6, 2007
  5. Just D.

    Just D. Guest

    Just D., Jul 6, 2007
  6. "Just D." <> wrote in message

    > Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

    You got plenty of cash, then...?

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 6, 2007
  7. Just D.

    Just D. Guest

    "Mark Rae [MVP]"

    >> Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

    > You got plenty of cash, then...?

    Not sure if it works in this case, but our company is official MS partner.
    We receive CD/DVD from MS on the regular basis.

    Just D.

    Just D., Jul 6, 2007
  8. Just D.

    Damien Guest

    On Jul 5, 11:08 pm, bruce barker <> wrote:
    > with win2000 and asp.net 1.1 there is one worker processes running all
    > asp.net applications. if you upgrade to 2003 & asp.net 2.0, you can have
    > a worker process (pool) for each application.
    >
    > if you run 2000/asp.net with the /3gb switch, you must also update the
    > machine config to use the extra memory. be sure sure to get all service
    > packs. you should dedicate the machine to asp.net and not run anything
    > else, or the OS may run out of memory (it still needs to alloc page
    > descripters for all allocated pages).
    >
    > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Hi Bruce,

    Just a quick correction here - the move to 2003, to gain application
    pools with separate worker processes does not require the
    corresponding move to 2.0. You can happily run multiple 1.1 apps in
    separate application pools. It's the setup I've got here.

    (Course, the above isn't really on topic for the OPs question, for
    which I apologise)

    Damien

    Damien, Jul 6, 2007
  9. "Just D." <> wrote in message

    > "Mark Rae [MVP]"
    >
    >>> Mark, what about Extended Support Retired? The date is 7/13/2010.

    >> You got plenty of cash, then...?

    > Not sure if it works in this case, but our company is official MS partner.

    That will not give you Extended Support...

    > We receive CD/DVD from MS on the regular basis.

    LOL! Of course you do :) But you still don't get Extended Support on
    products where mainstream support has been retired.

    As it stands, unless you have specifically purchased Extended Support for
    Win2k, you're running on a totally unsupported platform...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jul 6, 2007