    new'ing and delete'ing).

    thanks

    , Dec 1, 2006

  2. Noah Roberts Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > can anybody tell me whats the most widely used/trusted/tested and free
    > memory pooling solution out there? I'd like to download it and possibly
    > introduce it into our application (problems with too much time spent
    > new'ing and delete'ing).

    The most common and trusted are objects that implement the RAII idiom,
    like boost::shared_ptr.

    Other options include an actual memory pool in boost that I believe
    works similarly to NextStep's NSAutoreleasePool.

    I prefer RAII though I can see when the pool method might be more
    appropriate.

    Noah Roberts, Dec 1, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > can anybody tell me whats the most widely used/trusted/tested and free
    > memory pooling solution out there? I'd like to download it and
    > possibly introduce it into our application (problems with too much
    > time spent new'ing and delete'ing).

    Search for "SmartHeap". I don't know what "the most widely used..."
    solution is, but SmartHeap is decent.

    Victor Bazarov, Dec 1, 2006
  4. mlimber Guest

    wrote:
    > can anybody tell me whats the most widely used/trusted/tested and free
    > memory pooling solution out there? I'd like to download it and possibly
    > introduce it into our application (problems with too much time spent
    > new'ing and delete'ing).

    Check out:

    http://boost.org/libs/pool/doc/index.html

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Dec 1, 2006

    mlimber wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > can anybody tell me whats the most widely used/trusted/tested and free
    > > memory pooling solution out there? I'd like to download it and possibly
    > > introduce it into our application (problems with too much time spent
    > > new'ing and delete'ing).

    > Check out:
    >
    > http://boost.org/libs/pool/doc/index.html
    >
    > Cheers! --M

    This looks like a good option if your app allocates fixed sized blocks.

    If you truly need to replace void * operator ::new(size_t), you
    could use:

    http://www.geocities.com/wkaras/heapmm/heapmm.html

    This allocator is design to have reasonable performance in
    all situations, rather than optimal performance in some
    typical case. If multiple threads are going to allocate from
    the same heap, you'll need a mutex to protect the heap.

    , Dec 1, 2006