    Is there a memory or heap profiler for python programs? So that, for
    example, if a program was bloating over time I could see how many of
    each object there were and maybe even where the references were?

    John Reese, Apr 21, 2005

  2. John Reese

    Peter Hansen Guest

    John Reese wrote:
    > Is there a memory or heap profiler for python programs? So that, for
    > example, if a program was bloating over time I could see how many of
    > each object there were and maybe even where the references were?

    The "gc" module has a variety of helpful features
    like that.

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, Apr 21, 2005

  3. Peter Hansen wrote:

    > John Reese wrote:
    >> Is there a memory or heap profiler for python programs? So that, for
    >> example, if a program was bloating over time I could see how many of
    >> each object there were and maybe even where the references were?

    > The "gc" module has a variety of helpful features
    > like that.

    I created a qt-based memory analyzer on top of the gc module. I plan to
    release it soon - it has been helpful to me for a few projects. Its a
    client-server application that collects data through an in-process running
    thread that delivers object histograms. The client fetches these and allows
    to display the development of objects based various criteria over the time.
    It can also record these data for offline-analysis. So far the in-proccess
    threads communicate their histograms either by pyro or xmlrpc servers.

    Unfortunately debugging ZOPE with the xmlrpc server lead to a mem-leak
    itself :( - so currently I'm no confident enough to release it.
    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch

    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 21, 2005
  4. John Reese

    John Reese Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:06:51 -0400, Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    > John Reese wrote:
    >> Is there a memory or heap profiler for python programs? So that, for
    >> example, if a program was bloating over time I could see how many of
    >> each object there were and maybe even where the references were?

    > The "gc" module has a variety of helpful features
    > like that.
    >
    > -Peter

    In particular, get_objects() and get_referrers(). Good point.

    John Reese, Apr 23, 2005