memory profiler?

John Reese

Good afternoon, ha ha ha!

Is there a memory or heap profiler for python programs? So that, for
example, if a program was bloating over time I could see how many of
each object there were and maybe even where the references were?

Peter Hansen

John said:
Is there a memory or heap profiler for python programs? So that, for
example, if a program was bloating over time I could see how many of
each object there were and maybe even where the references were?

The "gc" module has a variety of helpful features
like that.

-Peter

Diez B. Roggisch

Peter said:
The "gc" module has a variety of helpful features
like that.

I created a qt-based memory analyzer on top of the gc module. I plan to
release it soon - it has been helpful to me for a few projects. Its a
client-server application that collects data through an in-process running
thread that delivers object histograms. The client fetches these and allows
to display the development of objects based various criteria over the time.
It can also record these data for offline-analysis. So far the in-proccess
threads communicate their histograms either by pyro or xmlrpc servers.

Unfortunately debugging ZOPE with the xmlrpc server lead to a mem-leak
itself :( - so currently I'm no confident enough to release it.