memory/time problem, windows authentication for a asp.net web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by leo_junquera@hotmail.com, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am trying to use windows authentication on an intranet to call a web
    service. When I make my first call to the service after connecting
    from a client app using:

    ws.Url = ServiceUrl;
    ws.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
    ws.UnsafeAuthenticatedConnectionSharing = true;

    It takes forever (2-3 minutes) and my mem usage for aspnet_wp.exe
    balloons from 2,952K to 586,264K and stays there.

    I am using v1.1.4322 on both client and server. It is set up with
    windows authentication using identity impersonate set to true and the
    authentication mode of windows in the web.config.

    I have wanted to move the architecture towards web services but this is
    unusable. Forcing the users to log in would be a step back in their
    eyes too.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Leo

    , Sep 29, 2005

  2. rviray Guest

    Can you post up the Hardware/OS your using for the IIS server tha
    houses the Web Service and Client...

    Does it take 2-3 minutes for every Web Service Call regardless of ho
    many times you call it? What are you pulling when you make the We
    Service Calls...(i.e., records from a database, if so, how many record
    - on average...), if there are alot of records your pulling back, ca
    you turn off ViewState on your pages/controls?

    View the Handles & Threads your using for aspnet_wp via Tas
    Manager...does the threads, handles and mem usage go down after you ge
    a return from the Web Service?

    Can you turn off Authentication on your Web Service and Client, to se
    if that is the problem.

    Do a tracert <Web Service IP> from the box that the Client sit
    on...does it take alot of hops to find the IP address?

    Those would be the first thing I would check (outside of your code)

    --
    rvira
    rviray's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=421

    rviray, Sep 29, 2005

  3. lj Guest

    I looked at the computer. The hardware is not great. It's running
    windows 2k server. With that being said this seems like more of a
    client issue. I tested just returning a string when I started having a
    problem (previously I was returning one record from a database). I
    didn't test with multiple calls, the machine became slow (mem usage
    remains at 586,264K after the call). Threads go from 583 to 609 during
    to 605 after. My CPU usage will go from nothing for aspnet_wp.exe to
    99% during the call for that two minutes then after the call it will
    spike to 90 at regular intervals.

    When there is no authentication this does not happen. It takes one hop
    to get there.

    lj, Sep 30, 2005
  4. lj Guest

    PS Those were all client side statistics.

    lj, Sep 30, 2005