memory/time problem, windows authentication for a asp.net web service

leo_junquera

I am trying to use windows authentication on an intranet to call a web
service. When I make my first call to the service after connecting
from a client app using:

ws.Url = ServiceUrl;
ws.Credentials = System.Net.CredentialCache.DefaultCredentials;
ws.UnsafeAuthenticatedConnectionSharing = true;

It takes forever (2-3 minutes) and my mem usage for aspnet_wp.exe
balloons from 2,952K to 586,264K and stays there.

I am using v1.1.4322 on both client and server. It is set up with
windows authentication using identity impersonate set to true and the
authentication mode of windows in the web.config.

I have wanted to move the architecture towards web services but this is
unusable. Forcing the users to log in would be a step back in their
eyes too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leo

rviray

Can you post up the Hardware/OS your using for the IIS server tha
houses the Web Service and Client...

Does it take 2-3 minutes for every Web Service Call regardless of ho
many times you call it? What are you pulling when you make the We
Service Calls...(i.e., records from a database, if so, how many record
- on average...), if there are alot of records your pulling back, ca
you turn off ViewState on your pages/controls?

View the Handles & Threads your using for aspnet_wp via Tas
Manager...does the threads, handles and mem usage go down after you ge
a return from the Web Service?

Can you turn off Authentication on your Web Service and Client, to se
if that is the problem.

Do a tracert <Web Service IP> from the box that the Client sit
on...does it take alot of hops to find the IP address?

Those would be the first thing I would check (outside of your code)

lj

I looked at the computer. The hardware is not great. It's running
windows 2k server. With that being said this seems like more of a
client issue. I tested just returning a string when I started having a
problem (previously I was returning one record from a database). I
didn't test with multiple calls, the machine became slow (mem usage
remains at 586,264K after the call). Threads go from 583 to 609 during
to 605 after. My CPU usage will go from nothing for aspnet_wp.exe to
99% during the call for that two minutes then after the call it will
spike to 90 at regular intervals.

When there is no authentication this does not happen. It takes one hop
to get there.