Memory Usage By dllhost.exe Under IIS

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by David Swift, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. David Swift

    David Swift Guest

    Hello.

    I'm new to the news group and new to IIS. I'm trying to
    help a client deal with memory usage issues in IIS. My
    client is running IIS 5.0 on a Win2K box and is running
    ASP scripts that both talk to an Active X Control written
    in C++ as well calls directly into the ADO layer.

    It seems that basic interaction with the ADO layer and
    Active X Control causes the dllhost.exe process to use
    more and more memory until the machine becomes wedged. It
    seems that removing the interaction with the database and
    with the Active X control helps significantly, but not
    completely. I can make memory usage go up indefinitely
    just by concatenating strings together in a loop. Once
    the loop ends, the memory doesn't come back, even after 15
    or 20 minutes of idle time. Switching to VB Script from
    Java Script doesn't seem to help.

    I'd like to know if there's a book out there or a
    reasonably up to date web site that discusses best coding
    practices for making database calls via ADO from IIS
    approved scripting languages. My client's ASP scripts
    seem to be matching the examples I've found online. The
    scripts close connections after each call; the scripts set
    all record set and connection objects to nothing/null when
    complete.

    I'd like to know also what constitutes reasonable ADO
    usage from an ASP script. One of my client's pages
    performs an outer query and then varying nested queries
    while processing the records of the outer loop. The result
    is potentially thousands of ADO queries. Trying to
    display this page in particular can easily eat up 300
    megabytes and that memory never comes back.

    I'd like to know also if it's enough to set a handle to an
    Active X Control to nothing/null when one finishes with it
    in the scripting language when one finishes with it or if
    something additional is required to ensure that its
    resources are reclaimed.

    I've spent a lot of time searching on Google for others
    that may have run into this and found some horror stories
    as well as success stories. This leads me to believe that
    we probably have either a configuration problem or our
    scripts are missing some key step or steps for releasing
    resources.

    Thanks for your help,

    David Swift

    David Swift, Aug 29, 2003

  2. David Swift

    David Swift Guest

    My client was using the wrong ODBC driver. Once we
    started using the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle the
    majority of the problems went away.

    David Swift, Sep 5, 2003