MemoryError c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error (Psycopg2)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Luis P. Mendes, Jun 21, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I have a program that uses a lot of resources: memory and cpu but it
    never returned this error before with other loads:

    """
    MemoryError
    c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error: psyco cannot recover from the
    error above
    Aborted
    """
    The last time I checked physical RAM while the script was running, it was
    used in about 75% and there is no reason (based in other runs of the
    program) for it to surpass 80% (maximum).

    $ python -V
    Python 2.5.2

    Pyscopg2 is version 2.0.8

    I use Linux, Kernel 2.6.24.5-smp #2 SMP
    with a Core2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz and 3GB of RAM

    I could not find this error. What does this mean?

    Is this a bug of Python? of Psycopg2?

    Luis
    Luis P. Mendes, Jun 21, 2009

  2. Luis P. Mendes

    Lie Ryan Guest

    Luis P. Mendes wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a program that uses a lot of resources: memory and cpu but it
    > never returned this error before with other loads:
    >
    > """
    > MemoryError
    > c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error: psyco cannot recover from the
    > error above
    > Aborted
    > """
    > The last time I checked physical RAM while the script was running, it was
    > used in about 75% and there is no reason (based in other runs of the
    > program) for it to surpass 80% (maximum).
    >
    > $ python -V
    > Python 2.5.2
    >
    > Pyscopg2 is version 2.0.8
    >
    > I use Linux, Kernel 2.6.24.5-smp #2 SMP
    > with a Core2 CPU T5500 @ 1.66GHz and 3GB of RAM
    >
    > I could not find this error. What does this mean?
    >
    > Is this a bug of Python? of Psycopg2?
    >
    > Luis

    Have you tried running without psyco? Psyco increases memory usage quite
    significantly.

    If it runs well without psyco, you can try looking at your code and
    selectively psyco parts that need the speed boost the most.
    Lie Ryan, Jun 21, 2009

  3. Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:04:59 +0000, Lie Ryan escreveu:

    > Luis P. Mendes wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a program that uses a lot of resources: memory and cpu but it
    >> never returned this error before with other loads:
    >>
    >> """
    >> MemoryError
    >> c/vcompiler.h:745: Fatal Python error: psyco cannot recover from the
    >> error above
    >> Aborted
    >> """
    >> The last time I checked physical RAM while the script was running, it
    >> was used in about 75% and there is no reason (based in other runs of
    >> the program) for it to surpass 80% (maximum).
    >>
    >> $ python -V
    >> Python 2.5.2
    >>
    >> Pyscopg2 is version 2.0.8
    >>
    >> I use Linux, Kernel 2.6.24.5-smp #2 SMP with a Core2 CPU T5500 @
    >> 1.66GHz and 3GB of RAM
    >>
    >> I could not find this error. What does this mean?
    >>
    >> Is this a bug of Python? of Psycopg2?
    >>
    >> Luis

    > Have you tried running without psyco? Psyco increases memory usage quite
    > significantly.
    >
    > If it runs well without psyco, you can try looking at your code and
    > selectively psyco parts that need the speed boost the most.

    I really need Psyco (use version 1.6 - forgot to mention earlier) to
    speed up the code.
    The part that consumes more memory is the one that needs Psyco the most.

    Luis
    Luis P. Mendes, Jun 21, 2009
  4. Luis P. Mendes

    Lie Ryan Guest

    Luis P. Mendes wrote:
    > Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:04:59 +0000, Lie Ryan escreveu:
    >> Have you tried running without psyco? Psyco increases memory usage quite
    >> significantly.
    >>
    >> If it runs well without psyco, you can try looking at your code and
    >> selectively psyco parts that need the speed boost the most.

    > I really need Psyco (use version 1.6 - forgot to mention earlier) to
    > speed up the code.
    > The part that consumes more memory is the one that needs Psyco the most.

    Yeah, but try running without psyco first and see if the problem is
    really caused by psyco. If it still produces an error, then we can rule
    out psyco as the root cause of the problem.

    Selective psyco-ing can reduce the amount of memory psyco uses and may
    just be slightly slower than full boosting (and sometimes it may
    actually become faster in memory constrained situation as less swapping
    is needed).
    Lie Ryan, Jun 21, 2009