Mention the type of applications which can be developed using C language?

Prakash T.

Dear friends,

This is Prakash from in India at tamilnadu. I am a MCA Student.
Please answer the Que: Mention the type of applications which can be
developed using C language?

Thanks and Regards

Prakash T.
Karur
Tamil Nadu
India

Thomas Matthews

Prakash said:
Dear friends,

This is Prakash from in India at tamilnadu. I am a MCA Student.
Please answer the Que: Mention the type of applications which can be
developed using C language?

Thanks and Regards

Prakash T.
Karur
Tamil Nadu
India

Gosh, that is going to be a huge list.
Let us start off with two categories: embedded systems and
non-embedded (desktop, etc.). Many applications can be
developed for each category. Now the task is to list
uses of each category and that would lead to applications.

Perhaps the easier question to answer is: "What applications
can't be written using the C language?"

Here are some applications that can be wrriten, I know of:
1. Operating systems. Enumerate at your risk.
MS Windows, Linux, Unix, VxWorks, Nucleus Plus,
VMS, MS-DOS, Vrtx, etc.
2. Controllers (ahh, a wide field)
Tape drives, disk drives, laser printers, ink jet
printers, vending machines, microwave ovens, industrial
mills, mailing machines, VCRs, DVD players, airplane
controllers, car controllers, etc.
3. Desktop applications (yes, another wide field)
Video games, databases, database front-ends, spreadsheets,
word processors, editors, image editors, architecture
tools, schematic routers, assemblers, compilers,
web & internet applications.
4. Scientific applications
{I don't have much knowledge in this arena.}

I'm just curious how much time it will take you to enumerate
or list all of the applications that can be written using
the C language. I think it might be one of those NP-Complete
problems, such as finding the last digit of PI (3.14....).

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Gregory Pietsch

Prakash said:
Dear friends,

This is Prakash from in India at tamilnadu. I am a MCA Student.
Please answer the Que: Mention the type of applications which can be
developed using C language?

Thanks and Regards

Prakash T.
Karur
Tamil Nadu
India

Many kinds of program can be written in C.

Gregory Pietsch

E. Robert Tisdale

Prakash said:
Mention the type of applications
which can be developed using C language?

Any application that can run on modern digital computers
as long as there is a C compiler for the target computer.

Walter Roberson

Prakash T. wrote:
Any application that can run on modern digital computers
as long as there is a C compiler for the target computer.

That's a close approximation, but not completely true -- at least
not without using undefined behaviour or compiler extensions.

Modern digital computers can have operations which are not part
of the C language, and which are not representable in C.

For example, if you have memory-mapped I/O (which is common),
then you need the ability to convert numeric addresses into C
pointers in order to perform the I/O. Now, for files that can
be hidden in the implimentation of the C f*() routines such
as fopen() and fwrite(), but anything beyond pure files (such as
serial ports or graphics) is beyond the scope of fopen(),
so even if the graphics can be responsably be handled via
fopen()/fwrite() [rather than, e.g., being a video page written
to directly] then one is getting into Undefined Behaviou.

The same thing happens if you have special I/O instructions instead
of memory-mapped I/O: you are only within the boundaries of the C
standard when the library routines are talking to file subsystems.

Thus, what can be implimented in *standard* C with no extensions
is in actuality only a subset of what can be "run" on
"modern digital computers". Roughly speaking, *standard* C
corresponds [at most] to that which is "Turing computable".

The problem with that is, as a friend of mine explored in depth
in his PhD thesis, that the majority of computers do not "compute"
particular results within the traditional meaning of Turing machines.
What, for example, is a toaster "computing" ? Considering
differences in moisture content and Brownian motion of air currents,
and differences in thickness and slize of slices, a toaster isn't
likely to get the same "inputs" twice in a row.

Erik de Castro Lopo

Prakash T. said:
Dear friends,

This is Prakash from in India at tamilnadu. I am a MCA Student.
Please answer the Que: Mention the type of applications which can be
developed using C language?

Absolutely anything.

I'm a Linux user and I can point you to the following:

- the Linux kernel (99% C, the rest assembler)
- nearly all user space programs (bash shell, and most
command line tools).
- The GNU compiler collection (gcc, g++ etc).
- apache web server
- The X sindow system
- Most of the programs for the GNOME desktop
- mail servers (postfix, sendmail etc)
- filter servers (SAMBA, NFS)
- graphics manipulation (the gimp)
- email client programs (eg sylpheed)

and probbly much more.

Erik

Erik de Castro Lopo (e-mail address removed) (Yes it's valid)
Spammer: Any of you guys looking for a permanent position in Scotland?
Kaz Kylheku: No, I'm looking for a thug in Scotland who might be interested
in beating up off-topic Usenet spammers, on a pro bono basis.