Menu Control Odd Behavior

AG

I realize that the obvious suggestion would be malware, but my definitions
are up to date and I have already scanned for it.
I have also tried disabling all IE add-ons.

I just rebuilt and deployed my website (WAP) in ASP.NET 2.0. Everything is
working fine except from my development machine with IE6.
The master page contains a Menu control bound to a SiteMapDataSource. There
is also a row of links (plain links, no menu control) at the bottom of the
page that link to the same pages as the menu control.
After clicking on the various menu links a few times, my firewall blocks the
request due to detecting a ports scan.
This only happens with IE 6. Firefox has no problem. Other machines with IE
6 or 7 behind the same firewall have no problem.

If I use the plain links at the bottom of the page there is no problem.

I have also built and deployed another website (also WAP) with the same
development machine and using the same code for navigation and don't have
any problem.

There is also no problem with other public sites.

Does anyone have any idea what/where to look for a fix/explanation?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi AG,

As you mentioned that you have an ASP.NET 2.0 site and one of the aspx page
using Menu control works incorrectly under IE 6, correct?

For the Menu control, I haven't got any definite problem against the IE 6
browser, I think it maybe a environment specific issue. For general
troubleshooting, you can try check the client source to see whether the
rendered html for menu is different (on that problem box) from other
machines. Also, you can try capture the postback requests send by
client(when you click the certain menu link) to see whether the browser is
also sending some particular unexpected http requests.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

AG

Thanks Steven.

I have looked at the client source and don't see anything different.
How can I capture the request on the client side, since the request never
leaves my LAN. I am sure there is some tool, but am not familiar with it.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi AG,

As for message tracing, there are some tools such as tcptrace which can
listen on a local port and redirect message to another remote server&port.
thus, you can changed the page url(type in your browser) from
"http://servername:80" to "http://localhost:listenport", thus, the trace
tool will help redirect the request and response and you can get the
intercepted message.

Subject: Re: Menu Control Odd Behavior
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 08:16:12 -0500

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi AG,

Sure, netmon or ethereal should be capable of this. I didn't mention them
because they're somewhat too powerful and complex for this scenario. To
capture http message, some light weight utility is enough. Normally, I
often use a tool named "trace utility" which ever shipped with SOAP toolkit
3.0. The toolkit is obsolete, but that tool is quite useful. Or another
simple tool proxy trace may also help on this.

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:10:00 -0500