    for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
    otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
    bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

    Matt White, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Matt White

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:03:43 GMT
    Matt White scribed:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Check out www.help-international.org/beta
    >
    > I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works properly
    > for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
    > otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
    > bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

    Basically, you have to style the html and body elements with 100% height.
    This, of course, may alter the requirements of the other markup.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Matt White

    Matt White Guest

    On Aug 10, 11:24 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:03:43 GMT
    > Matt White scribed:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > Check outwww.help-international.org/beta

    > > I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works properly
    > > for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
    > > otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
    > > bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

    > Basically, you have to style the html and body elements with 100% height.
    > This, of course, may alter the requirements of the other markup.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    Ok, tried that, but no change occurred. What am I doing wrong? Here's
    the link to the stylesheet: http://www.help-international.org/beta/css/global.css

    Matt White, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Matt White

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Matt White <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Check out www.help-international.org/beta
    >
    > I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works properly
    > for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar, but
    > otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to the
    > bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this? Thanks.

    You can fiddle about to solve this problem (there are border
    solutions, faux background solutions and a few other ways if the
    very best and most direct of all ways is unpalatable to you,
    namely a table with 2 columns) but it is often more trouble than
    it is worth.

    If you want the menu colour to extend to the bottom, put that
    colour into body. If you want the content to be white
    backgrounded, say so in content css. The scheme is simple and has
    a logic, all the content is plain to see as an entity, white
    backgrounded, every thing else is menu or footers. As for borders
    in this scheme, you can put a border all around the content. A
    smidgeon of right margin on the content also often looks nicer.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 10, 2007
  5. Matt White

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:39:46
    GMT Matt White scribed:

    > On Aug 10, 11:24 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007
    >> 17:03:43 GMT Matt White scribed:
    >>
    >> > Hello,

    >> > Check outwww.help-international.org/beta

    >> > I put in an image tag to illustrate my problem. Firefox works
    >> > properly for pages where the content does not require a scrollbar,
    >> > but otherwise not. IE is even worse.. I'd like my menu to extend to
    >> > the bottom of the page. What is the best way to accomplish this?
    >> > Thanks.

    >> Basically, you have to style the html and body elements with 100%
    >> height. This, of course, may alter the requirements of the other
    >> markup.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojias
    >> Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    > Ok, tried that, but no change occurred. What am I doing wrong? Here's
    > the link to the stylesheet:
    > http://www.help-international.org/beta/css/global.css

    Well, a change did occur, but regardless.

    Now put overflow:auto; on #content. You should see a result and probably
    be able to figure the rest out yourself.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Matt White

    Matt White Guest

    On Aug 10, 6:29 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:39:46
    > GMT Matt White scribed:
    >

    > > On Aug 10, 11:24 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007
    > >> 17:03:43 GMT Matt White scribed:

    > >> Basically, you have to style the html and body elements with 100%
    > >> height. This, of course, may alter the requirements of the other
    > >> markup.

    > >> --
    > >> Neredbojias
    > >> Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    > > Ok, tried that, but no change occurred. What am I doing wrong? Here's
    > > the link to the stylesheet:
    > >http://www.help-international.org/beta/css/global.css

    > Well, a change did occur, but regardless.
    >
    > Now put overflow:auto; on #content. You should see a result and probably
    > be able to figure the rest out yourself.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    This seems to have improved things except one new problem: there are
    two scrollbars now. One is for the whole page and one is for the right
    div only. How can I get rid of one or the other?

    Matt White, Aug 13, 2007
  7. Matt White

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:42:30
    GMT Matt White scribed:

    > On Aug 10, 6:29 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007
    >> 17:39:46 GMT Matt White scribed:

    >> > Ok, tried that, but no change occurred. What am I doing wrong?
    >> > Here's the link to the stylesheet:
    >> >http://www.help-international.org/beta/css/global.css

    >> Well, a change did occur, but regardless.
    >>
    >> Now put overflow:auto; on #content. You should see a result and
    >> probably be able to figure the rest out yourself.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojias
    >> Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    > This seems to have improved things except one new problem: there are
    > two scrollbars now. One is for the whole page and one is for the right
    > div only. How can I get rid of one or the other?

    You have to apply "overflow:hidden;" to html and perhaps body. It's been a
    while since I did such things and don't have any of my old samples left.
    It will work pretty good if you get the settings right, but ie6 can still
    have some problems.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 13, 2007
  8. Matt White

    Matt White Guest

    On Aug 13, 10:20 am, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:42:30
    > GMT Matt White scribed:
    >

    > > On Aug 10, 6:29 pm, Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > >> Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 10 Aug 2007
    > >> 17:39:46 GMT Matt White scribed:

    > >> Well, a change did occur, but regardless.

    > >> Now put overflow:auto; on #content. You should see a result and
    > >> probably be able to figure the rest out yourself.

    > >> --
    > >> Neredbojias
    > >> Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    > > This seems to have improved things except one new problem: there are
    > > two scrollbars now. One is for the whole page and one is for the right
    > > div only. How can I get rid of one or the other?

    > You have to apply "overflow:hidden;" to html and perhaps body. It's been a
    > while since I did such things and don't have any of my old samples left.
    > It will work pretty good if you get the settings right, but ie6 can still
    > have some problems.
    >
    > --
    > Neredbojias
    > Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    Thanks Neredbojias. The solution I'm now using that works in IE and
    Firefox (haven't tested on older versions, however) is to set
    overflow: hidden on the html element and overflow: scroll on the
    content div. Looks beautiful... brings tears to my eyes.

    Matt White, Aug 13, 2007
  9. Matt White

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:44:18
    GMT Matt White scribed:

    >> > This seems to have improved things except one new problem: there
    >> > are two scrollbars now. One is for the whole page and one is for
    >> > the right div only. How can I get rid of one or the other?

    >> You have to apply "overflow:hidden;" to html and perhaps body. It's
    >> been a while since I did such things and don't have any of my old
    >> samples left. It will work pretty good if you get the settings right,
    >> but ie6 can still have some problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neredbojias
    >> Half lies are worth twice as much as whole lies.

    > Thanks Neredbojias. The solution I'm now using that works in IE and
    > Firefox (haven't tested on older versions, however) is to set
    > overflow: hidden on the html element and overflow: scroll on the
    > content div. Looks beautiful... brings tears to my eyes.

    Glad you got it worked out. I remember spending "hours 'n h-owers" on
    that stuff, 'specially trying to get ie6 to cooperate. Now - eh, who
    cares... <g>

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Aug 13, 2007