menu not working in Opera

windandwaves

Stuart said:
Hmmm. Doesn't work in Opera 7.01.

My version is 7.54u2 and it does not work (it looks like it, but if you go
down to history makers and then people people further down the line then it
stops working...)

Els

windandwaves said:
My version is 7.54u2 and it does not work (it looks like it, but if you go
down to history makers and then people people further down the line then it
stops working...)

Maybe it's better to explain what it really is that's not working
then? In 8.02, I hover over 'history makers', then over 'episode 1',
and I'm presented with a list with actors, numbered from 100 to 83. I
can click 83 (Charles Upham) and end up on a page about that person.
Is that within, or beyond what is working in your version of Opera?
(I don't get numbers 82 - 1 if that's what should happen?)

Guest

Els said:
Maybe it's better to explain what it really is that's not working
then? In 8.02, I hover over 'history makers', then over 'episode 1',
and I'm presented with a list with actors, numbered from 100 to 83. I
can click 83 (Charles Upham) and end up on a page about that person.
Is that within, or beyond what is working in your version of Opera?
(I don't get numbers 82 - 1 if that's what should happen?)

I think that's supposed to happen. I'm using Opera 8.5, and the listing
under the "Episode 1" entry only goes as far as 83.

My immediate thought is that the remaining numbers will be covered in
episode 2 through 6.

Els

Kim said:
I think that's supposed to happen. I'm using Opera 8.5, and the listing
under the "Episode 1" entry only goes as far as 83.

My immediate thought is that the remaining numbers will be covered in
episode 2 through 6.

Makes sense :)

windandwaves

Els said:
Maybe it's better to explain what it really is that's not working
then? In 8.02, I hover over 'history makers', then over 'episode 1',
and I'm presented with a list with actors, numbered from 100 to 83. I
can click 83 (Charles Upham) and end up on a page about that person.
Is that within, or beyond what is working in your version of Opera?
(I don't get numbers 82 - 1 if that's what should happen?)

try opening number five, for example... you rock Els, Thank you for your
help. Much appreciated.

windandwaves

windandwaves said:
try opening number five, for example... you rock Els, Thank you for
your help. Much appreciated.

Everything works fine, until you try to open pages for lower numbered folk
at the bottom of an episode list.

TIA

- Nicolaas

Els

windandwaves said:
Everything works fine, until you try to open pages for lower numbered folk
at the bottom of an episode list.

I don't think I'm getting it.
Under episode 5, there are no names. Clicking it, gives me a page with
no names, so that looks like there aren't any.
It's the same as in Firefox.

FWIW, I did open nr. 83, and that's the last one on the list, as for
some reason you're counting down, from no. 100 at the top of episode
1. Both in Opera 8.02 and Firefox.

Opening Opera 7.51...
No extendable menu at all, no way of even trying to click any episode,
as I see none.
Looking at the source, I see that there are no sublists.
I have no idea how you scripted the page, but for some reason, Opera
8.02 gets served with sub and sub-sub lists, while 7.51 gets nothing.
I reckon the error is somewhere in the script? Do you have any
browsersniffing in your script maybe?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
Everything works fine, until you try to open pages for lower numbered folk
at the bottom of an episode list.

All worked fine for me - Opera 8.5. I even tried 5 - no problem. Nice
page, btw. Very nice.

windandwaves

Els said:
I don't think I'm getting it.
Under episode 5, there are no names. Clicking it, gives me a page with
no names, so that looks like there aren't any.
It's the same as in Firefox.

FWIW, I did open nr. 83, and that's the last one on the list, as for
some reason you're counting down, from no. 100 at the top of episode
1. Both in Opera 8.02 and Firefox.

Opening Opera 7.51...
No extendable menu at all, no way of even trying to click any episode,
as I see none.
Looking at the source, I see that there are no sublists.
I have no idea how you scripted the page, but for some reason, Opera
8.02 gets served with sub and sub-sub lists, while 7.51 gets nothing.
I reckon the error is somewhere in the script? Do you have any
browsersniffing in your script maybe?

Sorry, I was just trying to fix it.

I have excluded Opera 7 now. Can you please try it with Opera 8? The
whole menu is enabled again.

Thank you again

- Nicolaas

windandwaves

Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:

All worked fine for me - Opera 8.5. I even tried 5 - no problem.
Nice page, btw. Very nice.

That is great to hear. Do you have any comments? It is going live tomorrow
night (i.e. in 22 hours) - lol.

Thank you again.

I browser sniffed and I excluded Opera 7 for the menu.

Cheers

Els

windandwaves said:
Sorry, I was just trying to fix it.

I have excluded Opera 7 now. Can you please try it with Opera 8? The
whole menu is enabled again.

Yup, works in all episodes now.
There is however another problem, (was there already): when loading
the page, the menu stays at the top of the header, until I hover over
it. Only then it jumps into place, at the bottom of the header image.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, windandwaves quothed:
That is great to hear. Do you have any comments? It is going live tomorrow
night (i.e. in 22 hours) - lol.

Only if you can fill some of the blank image portraits, it would be
nice.

I mean to investigate the page more thoroughly tomorrow (-bookmarked
it), but what I saw from a cursory look was quite good.
Thank you again.

I browser sniffed and I excluded Opera 7 for the menu.

If you have any special js coding for IE, you maybe can equate Opera 7
and lower to IE. I do this sometimes; on some of my site's pages, it
doesn't matter what you set Opera's "ID" as, -it's treated as IE
regardless.

If (navigator.userAgent.indexOf('MSIE')>-1 ||
navigator.userAgent.indexOf('pera')>-1) .....

Er, this is just a thought out of the blue because I really haven't
looked at your page's source yet.

windandwaves

Els said:
Yup, works in all episodes now.
There is however another problem, (was there already): when loading
the page, the menu stays at the top of the header, until I hover over
it. Only then it jumps into place, at the bottom of the header image.

I know, but no idea on what to do about it....!

Thank you again Els

- Nicolaas

Els

windandwaves said:
Els wrote:
[http://www.historymakers.co.nz/sunny/index.php]
There is however another problem, (was there already): when loading
the page, the menu stays at the top of the header, until I hover over
it. Only then it jumps into place, at the bottom of the header image.

I know, but no idea on what to do about it....!

Since it doesn't happen after some stuff is cached, I'm guessing it's
the height of the header that gets 'filled in' too late. Maybe you
need to set an explicit height (in the html) for an image somewhere?