menu usable?

brucie

In alt.html chlori said:
I mean: it doesn't look good when it falls apart...

the menu stays together all the way from 'smallest' to 'largest' in IE
with a full window on 800x600:96. you cant complain about that.

if people make their fonts even bigger so the menu falls apart then
they're already used to designs falling apart and while there is a bit
of overlapping at extreme sizes your menu is still usable anyway.

if they have a weeny window and x-large fonts (rare but low VI people
do) its still usable.

if all else fails they can turn css off and it still works.

its a very good flexible design. the only issue was the IE bug but
you've fixed it. stop worrying.

perfect.

rf

brucie
In alt.html chlori said:

perfect.

Not quite.

chlori:

When the menu wraps in a narrow window the "buttons" or tabs or whatever you
call them overlap. This is because you
have, I am guessing, specified some padding (in ems) for those li's. If you
also specify a line-height of, lets guess again, about 1.5em then the boxes
will no longer overlap.

BTW why is everything on the site german except for the word "home"? Or is
this now a german word that means home page?

chlori

rf schrieb am 06.11.2004 13:44:
When the menu wraps in a narrow window the "buttons" or tabs or whatever you
call them overlap. This is because you
have, I am guessing, specified some padding (in ems) for those li's. If you
also specify a line-height of, lets guess again, about 1.5em then the boxes
will no longer overlap.

I think it's more or less corrected:
http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag3/
BTW why is everything on the site german except for the word "home"? Or is
this now a german word that means home page?

I changed it to Start, which is also a german word. But
I think nearly every german speaking user who has ever
been surfing will know what home means...

Thanks
chlori

Toby Inkster

brucie said:
rf said:

i noticed, i'm getting a bit bored with him anyway. hes not a very good
one.

All it took was for you to pull his arms off and he stopped typing. Trolls
these days give up too easy.

Joel Shepherd

Henry said:
I really hate, when someone tells me, what I have to like or what I
shouldn't.

Weird: so do I.
but do not impose on others what they should like or not for God's sake!

Exactly. Now, what were you saying about teensy fonts in menus?

brucie

In alt.html Toby Inkster said:
All it took was for you to pull his arms off and he stopped typing. Trolls
these days give up too easy.

would you like to have a play with him? i'll swap him for a new opera7.6
W3-dev menu.

Jukka K. Korpela

chlori said:
I changed the font-size to 100%,

Better now, but 100% isn't enough. The basic font size should be assumed
to be convenient to the user in normal conditions - but blue text on blue
background isn't normal condition. Making the font bigger isn't really a
solution though; the conditions should be made more normal - sufficient
contrast between background and text.

Using light background for links is normally best; then you can use the
common link colors, or colors not too far from them.

I noticed that when I click on a link there, the selection rectangle (on
IE) isn't quite the same as the button-like rectangle where the link is.

More seriously, on page
http://www.alz-maschinen.ch/vorschlag2/lp_home.php
viewed in a relatively narrow window (say 400 pixels), the links partly
cover each other. Moreover, some link texts are divided into two lines,
due to hyphens; it's probably best to set white-space: nowrap for those
links.

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record

In alt.html Toby Inkster said:

would you like to have a play with him? i'll swap him for a new opera7.6
W3-dev menu.
I thinks I been awayssssssssssss toooooooooooooooooooo long bro.
wats that then? - W3-dev menu.??????????????????????????

<A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record

chlori

Much better.
Just a little further to get AAA

<HTML lang="fr">
<HEAD> <TITLE>Un document multilingue</TITLE> </HEAD>

Where fr= FRANCE etc...........................................

<A message to top posters. Type your reply here>

Noozer

rf said:
chlori whatever

Just a few comments...

- Works well with MANY font sizes
- May want to change the colour/shade behind the tabs to separate the tab
area from the content area.
- In the Kontakt page, the images slide under your form... Looks awful. When
the images doesn't fit, this page should either work like the rest of the
pages , or a scrollbar should appear at the bottom and the images go off the
right side of the page.
- The second row of tabs under the Lieferprogramm tab is confusing and
should be worked differently. If you are going to need submenus then the tab
system you are using won't work.

Using Firefox v.93 on a 1280x1024 display.

Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record

In alt.html Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record said:

you've really let the team down

http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera

still works with 7.6 but you need to manually edit the file to match the
new 7.6 menu.
Ahhhh penny drops.
If it only works with Opera, what are the other 99.999999% of visitors
going to see?

brucie said:
i'll swap him for a new opera7.6 W3-dev menu.

They've not fiddled around with how the menus work again, have they?

Oh well, downloading 7.60 Preview 2...

brucie

In alt.html Titus A Ducksass - AKA broken-record said:
If it only works with Opera, what are the other 99.999999% of visitors
going to see?

its extra goodies added to the menu of the opera browser. visitors has
nothing to do with it.

Steve Pugh

Ahhhh penny drops.
If it only works with Opera, what are the other 99.999999% of visitors
going to see?

"The W3-dev Menu is an Opera 7 customisation for web developers,
providing handy shortcuts to validate and check their pages and some
useful links to web standards and tutorials."

My guess is that if a developer is using this tool then the other
99.999999% of visitors will see a better web site.

Steve

chlori

Noozer schrieb am 07.11.2004 01:20:
- In the Kontakt page, the images slide under your form... Looks awful. When
the images doesn't fit, this page should either work like the rest of the
pages , or a scrollbar should appear at the bottom and the images go off the
right side of the page.

I saw this problem. But why does this happen aand how
can I solve it?

brucie

In alt.html Toby Inkster said:
They've not fiddled around with how the menus work again, have they?

depends on your install preferences. i've just got the browser installed
so the chat and mail bits are not needed. theres also and issue with
"Browser Navigation Menu" have lots of cute little ~~~~ before its name.

i just commented out these lines:

;Submenu, 148510, Browser Navigation Menu =
;Submenu, 67397, Browser Mail Menu =
;Submenu, "Chat", Browser Chat Menu =
Oh well, downloading 7.60 Preview 2...

you mean you have already got it?