menu

Edwin van der Vaart

rf said:
Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.
What's better a gif file or a png file?
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

Jim Moe

Edwin said:
What's better a gif file or a png file?

A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.
There is a workaround using a MS proprietary function. Search for "png
transparency ie alpha channel."

Blinky the Shark

Jim said:
A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is
a giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

I realize there are lots of IE6 systems out there to contend with, but:
has MS not even fixed that in IE7?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
I realize there are lots of IE6 systems out there to contend with, but:
has MS not even fixed that in IE7?

Yes

Edwin van der Vaart

Jim said:
A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.
I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
this post.

Edwin van der Vaart

Blinky said:
Thanks mate.
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
this post.

Blinky the Shark

Edwin said:
Thanks mate.

Note that I wasn't recommending the MS kludge. I was only showing that
that was the most they did with the problem for years, being MS.

Bergamot

Jim said:
IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies.

That isn't entirely true. IE has problems with png alpha transparency.
Not all transparencies need the alpha channel.
Which is a
giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

You can get the same result as gif with png, just use an indexed
transparency instead of the alpha channel. Same 256 colors as gif. I do
it all the time.
There is a workaround using a MS proprietary function. Search for "png
transparency ie alpha channel."

FYI, this does require ActiveX enabled to work, so be warned.

Edwin van der Vaart

Blinky said:
Note that I wasn't recommending the MS kludge. I was only showing that
that was the most they did with the problem for years, being MS.
I know you don't recommending the MS kludge. But still thanks mate.
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
24help.info, issociate.de and software-help1.org to duplicate this post.