    i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent
    like that ? thanks, keith

    , Jun 22, 2007

  2. Neredbojias Guest

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:59:31 GMT scribed:

    > http://www.hrasti.com/
    > i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent
    > like that ? thanks, keith

    Use a background image with an inherent transparency and put it in an
    appropriate container.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Jun 22, 2007

  3. rf Guest

    rf, Jun 23, 2007
  4. rf wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.hrasti.com/
    >> i'd like to make a menu like this site, how can i make it transparent

    > Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

    What's better a gif file or a png file?
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 23, 2007
  5. Jim Moe Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

    > What's better a gif file or a png file?

    A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
    giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.
    There is a workaround using a MS proprietary function. Search for "png
    transparency ie alpha channel."

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Jun 23, 2007
  6. Jim Moe wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

    >> What's better a gif file or a png file?

    > A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is
    > a giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

    I realize there are lots of IE6 systems out there to contend with, but:
    has MS not even fixed that in IE7?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 23, 2007
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    <> writing in

    > Jim Moe wrote:

    >>> What's better a gif file or a png file?

    >> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is
    >> a giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

    > I realize there are lots of IE6 systems out there to contend with, but:
    > has MS not even fixed that in IE7?

    Yes

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 23, 2007
  8. Jim Moe wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>> Make it out of gifs that "appear" to be transparaent.

    >> What's better a gif file or a png file?

    > A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
    > giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

    I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
    that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 23, 2007
  9. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Jim Moe wrote:
    >>> What's better a gif file or a png file?

    >> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
    >> giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

    > I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
    > that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.

    Looks like MS has been aware of the issue back at least to IE 5.5.

    http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 23, 2007
  10. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> Jim Moe wrote:
    >>> A GIF. IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies. Which is a
    >>> giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

    >> I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
    >> that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.

    > Looks like MS has been aware of the issue back at least to IE 5.5.
    >
    > http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

    Thanks mate.

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 23, 2007
  11. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>> I didn't know that. I normally used PNG's for images and never thought
    >>> that IE have problems with it. @#$%&! stupid MS.

    >> Looks like MS has been aware of the issue back at least to IE 5.5.
    >>
    >> http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

    > Thanks mate.

    Note that I wasn't recommending the MS kludge. I was only showing that
    that was the most they did with the problem for years, being MS.

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 23, 2007
  12. Bergamot Guest

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > IE has problems with PNGs that have transparencies.

    That isn't entirely true. IE has problems with png alpha transparency.
    Not all transparencies need the alpha channel.

    > Which is a
    > giant PITA since GIFs have a limited color range.

    You can get the same result as gif with png, just use an indexed
    transparency instead of the alpha channel. Same 256 colors as gif. I do
    it all the time.

    > There is a workaround using a MS proprietary function. Search for "png
    > transparency ie alpha channel."

    FYI, this does require ActiveX enabled to work, so be warned.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jun 24, 2007
  13. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Looks like MS has been aware of the issue back at least to IE 5.5.
    >>>
    >>> http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html
    >>>
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294714

    >> Thanks mate.

    > Note that I wasn't recommending the MS kludge. I was only showing that
    > that was the most they did with the problem for years, being MS.

    I know you don't recommending the MS kludge. But still thanks mate.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    24help.info, issociate.de and software-help1.org to duplicate this post.

    Edwin van der Vaart, Jun 24, 2007