    the same applet is run in Internet Explorer 7 using the same Java version.

    Is this a bug or just a "difference"? Are there any workarounds other than
    keeping menus small?

    Mickey Segal, Nov 10, 2006

  2. Mickey Segal wrote:
    > As detailed at www.segal.org/java/choice_cut/ (with a working applet and
    > full source code) some MenuItems in a Choice component get cut off using
    > Firefox at 800 x 600 display resolution.

    I have a lot of icons spread across my 1024x768
    screen and XP screws up the locations if I 'downsize'.

    Can you reproduce this problem by making the
    browser window really small and shifting it to
    the bottom of the screen?

    >....The problem does not occur when
    > the same applet is run in Internet Explorer 7 using the same Java version.
    >
    > Is this a bug or just a "difference"?

    Not sure yet. The thing is - I am not able to
    run any modern Mozilla variant ..because of
    some settings thing..

    OTOH - I can give the following information.
    In the situation described above, both IE 6
    and Netscape 4.08 will pop the choice
    *upwards* if forced to, to prevent any form
    of clipping or cut-off.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Can you reproduce this problem by making the
    > browser window really small and shifting it to
    > the bottom of the screen?

    On resolutions higher than 800 x 600, if you make the browser window small
    and at the bottom, the system is smart enough to pop the Choice up to use
    the space available there.

    This is the first problem I've seen that depends on which browser is used
    with the same JVM on the same operating system. Does one bring this to the
    attention of Sun, the Firefox folks or both?

    Mickey Segal, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Mickey Segal wrote:
    > "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > > Can you reproduce this problem by making the
    > > browser window really small and shifting it to
    > > the bottom of the screen?

    > On resolutions higher than 800 x 600, if you make the browser window small
    > and at the bottom, the system is smart enough to pop the Choice up to use
    > the space available there.
    >
    > This is the first problem I've seen that depends on which browser is used
    > with the same JVM on the same operating system.

    It is also common for focus problems - determining whether
    the applet or other web page elements get default focus, and
    there was also a key typing problem reported recently for
    Mozilla - but it went nowhere (not to mention the IE Eolas
    patent thing).

    >...Does one bring this to the
    > attention of Sun, the Firefox folks or both?

    Good question. I suggest both.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Mickey Segal

    > Mickey Segal wrote:
    >>...Does one bring this to the
    >> attention of Sun, the Firefox folks or both?

    > Good question. I suggest both.

    I filed a Mozilla bug report and an engineer at Sun said "I can't say right
    now whether this is an AWT, Java Plugin or Mozilla/Firefox issue. I'll
    investigate it and file a bug if required."

    This sounds like something easy to fix and it is not hard to imagine why no
    one stumbled across this before because it occurs only with a particular
    combination of circumstances. With the demise of Microsoft Java and the
    self-inflicted wounds to Internet Explorer 7 extra attention is now being
    applied to tweaking the Firefox / Sun Java combination.

    Mickey Segal, Nov 10, 2006