Menu's, menu's, menus.....

JJ

Question: Which controls to use as menus:
=============================

I must be approaching this the wrong way, as it clearly must be possible.

I am writing a very basic CMS. At the top of the page will be a menu 'main
categories' and at the side will be a menu 'sub categories'.

The page being viewed is calculated from the querystring. A bit of code then
gets the relevent main category and subcategory for that pageID.

The SubCategories my themselves have child categories, so I want a
subcategory to expand (rather like a treeview node) when the user clicks on
one that has child categories.

My basic problem here is finding a control that I can
(i) Customise the look and feel of
(ii) Set the 'selected item' programmatically in case the user gets to the
page without clicking on a menu item

I've though about using a MENU control for the main categories, and a
treeview for the sub categories, but I don't think I can set which item, is
selected programmatically can I?
Perhaps I should be using other controls and using CSS styles to set the
selected items look?

Anyone suggest an approach?

JJ

xke

Just an idea.
I guess you need a menutab for the page top. Not sure if the ajax menu
tab (I know there is something like that) it's good for you. You can
also go to dynamicdrive and see the navigation section, they have same
good examples for menu tabs. Or you can create same links at the top
of the page and set the class according to which tab is selected.
About subcategories, I would use microsoft menu.

xke

JJ

Thanks for the replies - most helpful.
Now that I know you can select an item programmatically, it solves many of
my problems.

I would very much like to use an AJAX sub menu which smoothly expands to
reveal ann sub-sub-levels, but not found one yet, so will stick with the
normal treeview for now.

Thanks.
JJ

Mark Rae

Thanks for the replies - most helpful.
Now that I know you can select an item programmatically, it solves many of
my problems.

No worries...
I would very much like to use an AJAX sub menu which smoothly expands to
reveal ann sub-sub-levels, but not found one yet, so will stick with the
normal treeview for now.

A "nornal" TreeView will expand and contract sublevels without postback or
callback...

See the TreeNodeSelectAction property...

xke

AJAX sub menu ?? Are you sure you not talking about Microsoft Menu? Is
any special Menu coming with ms Ajax Toolkit?