Message board layered architecture 2-tier or 3-tier?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Vin, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Vin

    Vin Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a VB.Net + ASP.Net message board application which has
    already been customized. There are two solutions in this application.
    1. The front end aspx, aspx.vb files, User controls solution
    2. A components solution which has .vb files which have the code to
    call inserts, updates, deletes to the database (SQL server 2000)

    Its much like the available general ASP.Net message board. Only a bit
    customized. Right now a simple interaction flow from front end to
    database is like this.

    aspx (aspx.vb) --> usercontrols.vb --> components.vb (call for a
    stored procedure in the DB) --> Database

    My requirement is to understand if its possible to port this
    application to a 3-tier architecture. This is to standardize all
    similer applications I have to a 3-tier architecture, not because I am
    looking at performance, maintinance etc.

    What is the best way to do it?
    I have considered couple of options.
    1. Have Webservices that facilitates db interaction (What
    components.vb does now)
    2. Right complus components to do the same as in option 1.

    I don't see a clear feasibility of the above options that I 've put
    down, Is there a best way to emerge with a worthy 3-tier architecture
    for this requirement? If so, what is it and how can it be
    accomplished.
    Any feasible idea for a 3-tier architecture is fine.

    Please reply at the earliest.

    Thanks much in advance,
    Vin
    Vin, Jul 22, 2004